• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

godwit, southern England (1 Viewer)

marnixR

WYSIWYG
both the attached pictures were taken a few days ago, the first one at Hengistbury Head, the second one near Keyhaven
i think both of them are black-tailed godwit, but would like to have my provisional ID confirmed

can anyone help? thanks

Attachments

• Img_7025.jpg
    Img_7025.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 128
  • Img_7173.jpg
    Img_7173.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 130
thank you

i assume the bar-tailed godwit should have a more patterned look to its feathers ?
I think so, but my problem with Barwits is the 'Stalactite/Stalagmites' one...I know what each looks like, but get the names mixed up. Can't seem to remember which is which decades after first learning. They should be called 'straight-billed' and 'upturned-billed' godwits.;)

It's obviously a godwit.
In your regionn, who, in spite of Brexit is close to mine…, it only could be a Black-tailed Godwit or a Bar-tailed Godwit.
The dark extremity of the tail, the shorter eyebrow and the general colour show that you are right: it's a Black-tailed Godwit.

One way to remember is if the length of the leg from the belly to the 'knee' is short then imagine that you could just about write B-A-R but you need more space to write B-L-A-C-K.

Yes much more 'checkered' looking plumage wise
Exactly. I don't get out much now and am losing my ID skills a bit (not that they were ever top notch) but this brings it flooding back. It's how I always remembered the difference for birds on the ground. There's leg length of course, but often as not they're standing in water and that can be difficult to assess.

Exactly. I don't get out much now and am losing my ID skills a bit (not that they were ever top notch) but this brings it flooding back. It's how I always remembered the difference for birds on the ground. There's leg length of course, but often as not they're standing in water and that can be difficult to assess.

Well I've always found that if they're up to their bellies they are most likely Black-tailed, if they're in shallow edges they're more likely Bar-tailed. Not always of course, but I've found it a good start point if they're at distance.
Mick

trying to see if i can apply the previous comments to some of my earlier pictures of godwits, i assume that both the attached are black-tailed godwits?

the first one taken in June 2015 in the Marismas del Odiel near Huelva, Andalucia, the second one in July 2016 at WWT Slimbridge in the lake overlooked by the Peng Observatory

Attachments

• Img_4687.jpg
    Img_4687.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5317.JPG
    IMG_5317.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 31
oh, I see - I thought that was a shadow
maybe once i’ve seen a bar-tailed godwit in real life i’ll be able the difference better!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back