• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NORTH BASH - Bempton Cliffs / Flamborough South Landing 19th May 2003 - a few photos (1 Viewer)

IanF

Spotted Flycatcher seen in the woods by the feeding station at South Landing, Flamborough.

It flitted around for quite a while, not staying still for more than a few seconds. This is the only shot I got.

Attachments

• spotted flycatcher dscn6351ceo.jpg
    spotted flycatcher dscn6351ceo.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 225
The Curlew / Whimbrel - a little too distant for a decent shot.

Attachments

• curlewwhimbrel dscn6317ao.jpg
    curlewwhimbrel dscn6317ao.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 214
Yellowhammer seen by the car park at South Landing, Flamborough

Attachments

• yellowhammer dscn6294c_filtered.jpg
    yellowhammer dscn6294c_filtered.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 194
Swallow on telegraph wires, South Landing, Flamborough

Attachments

• swallow dscn6333co.jpg
    swallow dscn6333co.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 191
Puffin from Bempton Cliffs.

Only one of four that I saw on the cliffs, though there were a few flying around and on the water. Puffins can be difficult to locate at Bempton.

Attachments

• puffin dscn6236eo.jpg
    puffin dscn6236eo.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 198
Razorbill at Bempton. Quite a few of these around.

Attachments

• razorbill dscn6169e_filtered.jpg
    razorbill dscn6169e_filtered.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 192
Common Guillemot on egg. A poor photo, but showing the egg.

Attachments

• guillemot egg p5182900c.jpg
    guillemot egg p5182900c.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 200
Gannet at Bempton. Seen on the arch at the south end of Bempton where the Gannets nest quite close to the cliff top. It's worth the extra walk as better views can be obtained from here of most of the birds found at Bempton.

Attachments

• gannet dscn6287e_filteredo.jpg
    gannet dscn6287e_filteredo.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 182
Fulmar. Another species Bempton is known for, though you have to look hard to find them amongst the Kittiwake and Gulls.

Attachments

• fulmar dscn6208eo.jpg
    fulmar dscn6208eo.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 175
Black-legged Kittiwake seen from Bempton Cliffs. One of the commonest birds.

Attachments

• kittiwake p5182875c.jpg
    kittiwake p5182875c.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 196
Ian, these are a fantastic record of the birds we saw on Sunday. That Fulmar looks like he's close enough to do you damage!

I'm still convinced on Whimbrel. At the side of the nearby Herring Gull it was somewhat smaller. I've been checking the BirdGuides DVD and I'm still sure of it. I can just make out the striped head in your photo, much better than I could see through the wavering telescopes in the strong wind. And I don't think the bill looks as long in proportion to the head, as it does on a Curlew. Also, there was a Whimbrel on the sightings page for the Flamborough area a few days before, so they have been around there recently.

Any other thoughts from anyone would be gratefully received.

Ian,thanks for providing such a super photographic memory of the day.Not being a digiscoper myself,but being there and knowing the distances and weather conditions involved,I'm amazed at the quality of the shots you've produced.
p.s.will you seek royalties from Birdman who has used a bit of the 'Team photo' for his avatar?!

Well, I bet now you've seen these photos you'll all be wishing you came!!

Maybe there'll be a bigger turnout for the next one, which we've tentatively suggested may be Leighton Moss RSPB on the west coast (nearer for our US members!).

Thanks for the confirmation on Whimbrel Michael - it was driving us crazy as the scopes were vibrating in the wind and the bird was a very long way off. I am truly surprised that Ian managed to get a photo that was even half recognisable.

Thanks again Ian.

:t:

Well done IanF and thank you for posting, this answered my thoughts ! was it possible to digiscope at Bempton Cliffs so thanks again I shall have to plan a visit.

Roy

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back