• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

id please (1 Viewer)

oh - only had the first picture when I looked now with the second I'd say - yes definitely a goldcrest - cracking little birds.

This might make it a little easier.
What to look for is the lack of any striping on the head. This bird has a plain face pattern with only a slight moustachial streak. The only real possible confusion species when dealing with a bird this size are Firecrest, Pallas' Warbler and Yellow-browed Warbler. All three have very obvious supercillia.

Attachments

• img97b.jpg
    img97b.jpg
    483.7 KB · Views: 274
Hi Michael;
Downy birch, would that be Betula pubescens?
looks slightly more like B. pubescens to me, but I couldn´t be sure trom this photo; probably just a Betula spec.

Hi Jörn,

Yep:
Downy Birch = Betula pubescens. Sometimes also called White Birch.
Silver Birch = Betula pendula.

That was my feeling too, looks more like B. pubescens, but not definite enough to commit myself

Michael

Hi Gerry,

Often thought to be the case, but not true - Betula pendula is diploid, B. pubescens is tetraploid, and they can't hybridise easily (and the occasional hybrids that do occur are sterile). Genetic tests have shown that virtually all so-called hybrids (apparently intermediate in morphology) are pure B. pubescens.

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back