• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Londoner goes to Minsmere (1 Viewer)

Talons

London Birder
Hi! Just come back from Minsmere. It was really good. No bitterns, unfortunately..... ah well. You can't win 'em all.

First birds of note were seen while I was going out to the car, 3 Swifts screaming overhead. During a 2-hour journey, the first 'lifer' of the day occurred in the form of a Sand Martin flying over nearby Westleton.

The first place I went to was the Sand Martin bank near the visitor's centre, on the easternmost trail. There were at least 100 Sand Martins popping in and out of the bank. Also saw Blackbird perching on a bush.

At the East Hide there was a Garganey preening at the water's edge. While scanning, I picked up a Lapwing on an island. I spotted several Avocets. A Little Ringed Plover was nearby. The Sand Martins were flying over the wader scrape. Also spotted were Common Sandpiper, a pair of Spotted Redshank (they had been spotted now!), many Black-headed Gulls and a solitary Greater Black-backed Gull.

Notable along the path to the Sluice was a young Green Woodpecker.

Not much at The Sluice, though a group of the everpresent Sand Martins comically flew out of the hole where you could look into the sluice. Counted eight Common Terns flying towards the coast.

The South Hide was much better. There were 100 (at most) Common Terns on one island. A lone Avocet was combing the water's edge. A Common Redshank duo flew in and began to feed. Scanning, I found a juvenile Little Ringed Plover and a Cormorant. There were a group of Black-headed Gulls on a group of islands. Before I left, two Sandwich Terns, the only pair at Minsmere, touched down and bathed.

The best hide of the day was the West Hide, which immediately offered up c50 Avocets, and many Black-headed Gulls. Also, the Sand Martins were even down here. There were four Northern Shoveler on the scrape, along with 24 Bar-tailed Godwit, 3 Lapwing, and another 3 Black-tailed Godwit looking particularly good in their summer plumage. Joining them was a single Crow, seven Dunlin and a Moorhen.

No Bitterns at the Bittern Hide, though 2 Marsh Harriers put in an appearance, along with one of the nesting Cetti's Warblers and 3 Bearded Tits.

Between the Bittern Hide and Island Mere, I counted 14 Wild Rabbits.

At the Island Mere hide, the first birds to appear were 3 Cormorants, closely followed by a Grey Heron and 2 Marsh Harriers. 5 more Cormorants and 4 Common Terns were the other birds on my Island Mere list, except 4 Greater Black-backed Gulls.

In the Canopy Hide, there were Marsh Tit, Great Tit and a Treecreeper. There were also some Chaffinches, a Grey Squirrel (didn't steal any nuts) and a Wild Rabbit.

The last bird I recorded was a Black-headed Gull in the car park when I was going.

I hope you enjoyed reading my account!

Last edited:
Hi Talons,

Sounds like a god day, i was looking for little ringed plover at sandwell valley the other day but they had already left. Nice report.

Regards
Steven

Nice to see you had a good day. I went there for the first time in June and enjoyed it too. Saw a Bittern flying over the Mere. Did not think much of the Canopy Hide though as we saw the grand total of zero birds there!

Glad you had a good day,I try to go to minsmere once every week and always see
some good birds.You didnt mention the nesting little terns on the beach ,i hope you saw them.The sluice is a popular place to see the kingfisher.
As to the Bittern, you have to very lucky.i have only seen one about 6 times this year.
Anyhow next time you come to norfolk try Titchwell (well recommended)

keith

We're going to Minsmere for a week this autumn, staying at nearby Dunwich. Hope we see as many birds as you did. You've whetted my appetite.

Bitterns can be seen fairly regularly from Island Mere hide. Mainly in flight but once the vegetation is cut in front of the hide they often feed along the edges. I get to Minsmere at least once a week and have been visiting the reserve for the last 26 years. It is only recently, perhaps the last four years that I can say that every time I go I see at least one Bittern.
There is always something of interest, at the moment the waders are returning along with the odd tern. Arctic last week, Roseate the week before and Black the week before that. With the varied habitat there are many places to look for the odd migrant or indeed the rare resident.

Ivan

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back