• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cycling to work (1 Viewer)

Karl J

Last Sunday 8th August (yes some of us have to work sundays :eek!: now and again) i done my monthly (..ish) cycle to work. As weekends only involve a short day of ~4 hours its a good way to fit in a couple hours cycling or birding (something i seem to have done little of lately) or both :king: at the start or end of the day.

The first 2/3 of it though, from home to Cantley, turned out pretty uneventful birdwise, through Ormesby, Runham, Stokesby and into Acle and Freethorpe. Nice villages but not much about bar a few singing Yellowhammers, (so ... skipping that bit) beyond this it becomes the Mid-Yare reserve where things start to pick up. Or maybe i just look for it more around here, who knows. But the combination of a sunny early morning in the quiet countryside always seems to bring out the best i think ... Goldfinch's, Blue Tits, Sparrows etc flew up from their feeding on the roadside verges and into bushes as i passed by, and a pair of Jays startled from their perch and crossed the field to disappear in the trees, but the party of 30 or so Egyptian Geese in a field by Hassingham church just sat there seemingly unaware (or uncaring) of my prescence. Above the same field i spotted my first Kestrel of the day, it always amazes me how they hover like that.

Past the House Martins swooping over the freshly cut hay bales, i made way toward Buckenham station and while crossing over the railway line a yaffling Green Woodpecker called out which couldn't immediately be seen, though after a bit of patience on the station platform it showed itself by briefly landing on the trunk of a small tree back across the lines. Riding slowly along the trackway toward the river i spotted a Marsh Harrier gliding slowly low over the marshes quite a distance away while in the pools a couple of Black-tailed Godwits, few Redshank and several gulls picked away at the mud, down at the river itself the first Kingfisher i've seen for quite a while flashed past. Other bits and bobs included some surprisingly early morning Brown Hawkers, Black-tailed Skimmers & some un-id'd darters, plus Red Admiral, Speckled Wood & Wall butterflies.

Didn't see too much from the hide in the main pools as i only had my bin's & not the scope, just a few Greylag & Canada Geese, couple of swans, more gulls and several Lapwing with a few Swallows sitting on the power lines, so it was back up the track and down the lane past Strumpshaw Fen reserve. Though i never had time for a visit i still added a Grey Heron, Cormorant, Whitethroat, Sedge Warbler, a singing Cettis Warbler and some Greenfinch to the tally by the time i got to Brundall.

In Brundall village 5 Swifts still screeched about in the sky chasing each other, in fact these seem to be the last to leave, they were there still there Tuesday but not yesterday or again today, i guess they've gone now. The only addition to the list after that was the Pied Wagtails on the roof of nearby farm buildings, shortly past this the road crosses over the main A47 and into Norwich.

Saw a total of 39 sp, made up nicely for working on a Sunday :king:

Nice read carlos, as you say it's amazing to watch the kestrel hover, + nice sighting of kingfisher. makes working sunday a bit better.
bert.

Cheers bert ...... Thats why i take the long route mickey. Going by the main A47 would cut the distance roughly in half but there's a fair chance of getting run over on the way. And you'd miss all the good bits !

Reminds me of my early morning cycle ride every morning before I passed my driving test, and I loved the earlymorning sights and sounds. Wish I could still cycle but that is all in the past, just make the most of your abilities while you can! I have to watch from cars or chairs now!

Went this way again today, despite the sunny start to the day there was a bit too much nip in the air for any dragonflies. But it was so very still, no wind at all. The sort of morning thats just right for getting good views of sedgies, whitethroats & Reed Buntings on the reedstems, which is fortunately just what i got :bounce:

Partridges running about & a Jay in the road (until i got there, that is). Could only hear the Green Woodpecker but (probably) had an overflying Gt Spotted, think that's what it was anyhow. Loads of House Martins, 10 - 12 Meadow Pipits on the track at Buckenham. One Marsh Harrier & 1 Sparrowhawk over Cantley marshes & 3 Kestrels. And still a few Swifts about, 4 this morning.

Think i might do this regularly. :king:

A couple of pics, for anyone who's never been there.

Attachments

• Hassingham.jpg
    Hassingham.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 119
  • River Yare.JPG
    River Yare.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 100
  • Buckenham.jpg
    Buckenham.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Really interesting stuff Carlos and particularly good to see the photos. When I lived round there, Buckenham was very heavily grazed and there was never anything like as tall a vegetation as this. Is the second picture of the river?

I really would love to go back to this part of the world - I think it's now nearly ten years since I visited.

Hi Andrew, there are cows (RSPB cows ?) grazing on it now but i don't think they've been there long. They seem to move them about quite a bit.

That picture of the river is a bit of a cheat really as it wasn't taken today, it's one i took last year (June or July & it's sat in the BF gallery since then) but it hasn't changed. It was taken near the old pumphouse in Strumpshaw reserve looking towards Brundall

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back