• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (17 Viewers)

Lots of raptors in Patrington Haven area today: male Hen Harrier, 2+ Marsh Harriers, 2+ Peregrines, Little Owl, Kestrels etc. More complete list on blog. Oh & a Barn owl against a pinkish sunset

Attachments

• 17-01-12BarnOwl023SC1.jpg
    17-01-12BarnOwl023SC1.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 62
Stunning views of the Desert Wheatear at Bempton this afternoon. Showing near Staple Newk viewpoint, it flew towards me as I walked up and then fed under my tripod - amazing views, could even hear it "chacking" as it searched for food

my first experience inside the swillington ings hide today.. DELUX, what more could you want.. comfy seats, ideal height for scope fodder, a collins field guide!!... no Smew for me, but distant roosting Tawny... also checked the sewage works for wapit but no joy, used to be reliable but i have not seen records anywhere for ages.. does anyone have any good sites? i really need a water pipit =)

my first experience inside the swillington ings hide today.. DELUX, what more could you want.. comfy seats, ideal height for scope fodder, a collins field guide!!... no Smew for me, but distant roosting Tawny... also checked the sewage works for wapit but no joy, used to be reliable but i have not seen records anywhere for ages.. does anyone have any good sites? i really need a water pipit =)

I think you'll have to wait until there's a freeze up now to get a Wipit at the waterworks site. There was 1 there last Jan. Lots of other good habitat for them now in the area where they are difficult to observe.

John

5 snow geese type with large greylag/canada flock.. east of A1 in adjacent field, north of wetherby services... first time ive seen these birds with the flock here this winter...

The BNG was on the sheltered side of the bigger spit on the main lake (between the two bridges). It was spending time with the wigeon there. The drake smew was harder to see as it was quite a way out. A peregrine that was hassling the geese flushed a couple of pink feet which joined the canada geese. With pintail and a couple of other species my list for the year is now 82.

Any news of the G.G.Shrike reported from on RBA near Harrogate yesterday ?

I read this thread a lot but have never posted until I saw this,
Does anyone have any more info? A Great Grey Shrike is one of the most beautiful birds, according to me, would love to see one!

And sorry but I'm awful with acronyms, RBA? All I can think of is Rare Bird Alert. Or Red-Breasted Albatross!!!
Thanks,

We probably overlooked the grebe yesterday trying for the smew. I'll admit to having my eye tuned for white birds yesterday, I ignored all the dark ones on the water. Silly me.
The BNG was on the sheltered side of the bigger spit on the main lake (between the two bridges). It was spending time with the wigeon there. The drake smew was harder to see as it was quite a way out. A peregrine that was hassling the geese flushed a couple of pink feet which joined the canada geese. With pintail and a couple of other species my list for the year is now 82.

Hi JonnyF, glad you found the best bit of Bird Forum.
Can't help you with the shrike location but I'll admit to being interested myself in the whereabouts of the bird.
I read this thread a lot but have never posted until I saw this,
Does anyone have any more info? A Great Grey Shrike is one of the most beautiful birds, according to me, would love to see one!

And sorry but I'm awful with acronyms, RBA? All I can think of is Rare Bird Alert. Or Red-Breasted Albatross!!!
Thanks,

Hi JonnyF, glad you found the best bit of Bird Forum.
Can't help you with the shrike location but I'll admit to being interested myself in the whereabouts of the bird.
This posting was refering to a report from about 2 weeks ago on Rare Bird Alert seen near Brimham Rocks.Hear a 2nd rumour about it yesterday but not convinced on the source of that info.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back