• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bewick's Wren in MD! (1 Viewer)

Tenderbear

For the past week I've been watching this little bird hopping all over the ground near our feeders. At first I thought it was a Carolina Wren, but then I noticed that his belly was gray (and we also have Carolina Wrens whose bellies are obviously yellow). I looked all over the internet and found the picture of the Bewick's Wren; it was him! I know it! The problem is that we're in MD, and it's listed as an endagered species here!! I went :eek!:! I just think it's so cool we have an Endangered Species in our backyard! Would never have guessed... ;)

Tenderbear,

What a find, if you haven't done so already then you may want to contact someone from your ornithological association and get them to come and confirm the sighting - I'm sure they'll be very excited to hear from you about it.

Luke

Last edited:
Hi, Tenderbear,

A warm welcome to you from all of us on staff at BirdForum!

How exciting for you! I second Luke's suggestion to let your local or state birding authority know about your bird. I love the wrens, they're so feisty. The single house wren we have visit every year lets us know in no uncertain terms that we're too close to *her* part of the yard. :)

streatham said:
Tenderbear,

What a find, if you haven't done so already then you may want to contact someone from your ornithological association and get them to come and confirm the sighting - I'm sure they'll be very excited to hear from you about it.

Luke

Good suggestion! The person to contact is Phil Davies, the secretary of the MD/DC Records Committee. You can find more information about reporting birds to the committee as well as contact information at

http://www.mdbirds.org/mddcrc/rcindex.html

Dalcio

Hi Tenderbear,

Glad to hear that you got that little bird in Maryland!

Here in northwest Missouri we are little outside the Bewick's Wren normal summer range. However, we had one coming to our yard here in Saint Joseph daily from July 23 until August 12. We have not seen it since. It would pick around in the leaf litter on the ground and also come to a peanut feeder we had hanging with the rest of our feeders. We were a little surprised to see it go to the feeder because they are almost exclusively eat insects. (97 percent of their diet is insects!)

Hello TenderBear
I just noticed your message today.
Where in MD did you see the Bewick's Wren?
I'm pretty sure that it wasn't where I live, in Howard County. A few months ago I saw a wren that I thought may have been a Bewick's and not one of the several Carolina Wrens I see. But probably not.
marcus

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back