• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Warbler in Kuwait (1 Viewer)

1. Looks like Reed Warbler but hard to exclude Marsh W without seeing emarginations. Claws dark, upper mandible a bit longer than lower, darkish legs and obvious eyering would favour Reed.

2. Great Reed Warbler: long primary projection and strong bill.

3. Maybe Great Reed.

4. I'd go for Marsh Warbler. There's no wing panel nor pale edges to outer tail feathers, emargination probably only in P3 and primary projection is c.100%.

I hope somebody else can confirm 3&4.

Last edited:
I thought Upcher's at first as it would be a commoner sight in Kuwait but aren't there too many visible primary tips there? I mean the pp projection looks very long.

Nro 3. can't be Upcher's or Olive-tree IMO. There's no wing panel and it should be quite obvious because the plumage is fresh. I can't see white white edges on outer tail feathers. Super barely extends above the eye when it should continue behind it in UW and O-tW. There's also a hint of dark in the tip of lower mandible which is not too good for Hippos.

The bill looks too weak for Great Reed but do fit Basra which I now think is the best fit:
http://www.hawar-islands.com/blog/media/blogs/kuwait/2008/Basra-Reed-Warbleri8036.jpg

I thought Upcher's or Olive Tree for the third earlier, it doesn't look like an Acro the central tail feathers are shorter than the rest. Agree with the other id's.

Agree with Petteri.

1- Looks good for Reed
2- definitely Great reed
3- definitely Basra (huge primary projection and bill structure leave absolutely no doubt)
4- highly likely to be a Marsh with that bill

Great images Abdulmohsen as always!

Agree with Petteri.

3- definitely Basra (huge primary projection and bill structure leave absolutely no doubt)

Oh yeah, Basra looks to be the answer. :t: Even the tail fits! I've never seen that species so it's been a nice learning curve.

All are Reed Warblers:

1. Reed Warbler
2. Great Reed Warbler
3. Basra Reed Warbler ( migrant-post breeder)
4. Marsh Warbler

as best as you photographs showed.
Omar

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back