• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chlidonias Goes To Asia, part three: 2013 (1 Viewer)

You must have a cast-iron stomach. You are lucky. Many people, including me, often spend a week of their trip confined to the restroom. Whether the food is "western" or not, it might not be clean. I got very ill in Syria when I was there. I think the horse leg was washed in dirty water.
Another question. Do you have a computer with you or how are you accessing the internet.

You must have a cast-iron stomach. You are lucky. Many people, including me, often spend a week of their trip confined to the restroom. Whether the food is "western" or not, it might not be clean. I got very ill in Syria when I was there. I think the horse leg was washed in dirty water.
Another question. Do you have a computer with you or how are you accessing the internet.

It's not always a case of food being not cleaned properly ... our bodies adjust to bacateria in the places we live and when we travel they are different, so we react, often badly. I've lived in China so long I have to be careful when I go back to the UK !

yes, as Frogfish says there are different gut bacteria in different regions so the most common cause of stomach trouble in travellers is from the new bacteria becoming established (hence usually at the start of trips). Later in trips the cause of upsets is more likely to be from hygiene issues.

I have a little laptop with me. It is the first time I've taken one with me and it really is a time-saver (and money-saver) because I can type up blogs even where there's no internet access, and then post them when I can. On previous trips I wrote everything out long-hand in notebooks while it was fresh in my mind, and then re-wrote it all when I got to an internet cafe. Almost all the guesthouses/hostels so far have free Wi-fi so I'm not spending anything on internet cafes.

So to get to Ikh Nart Nature Reserve I took a 9.30am train to a little mining town called Shivee Gobi. Really there's just a platform where the train stops, the town itself being maybe ten kilometres away. It would be a bit of a walk if you hadn't arranged a pick-up at the platform and were just hoping to catch a ride from someone in town. Catching the train with me was a local guy called Tsolmon who spoke good English. At first I thought he was another visitor, but it turned out he was a guide from the company sent along to accompany me. That turned out to be fortunate because nobody else at the camp spoke English! On the drive from Shivee Gobi to the camp we saw a couple of argali (a type of wild sheep) on the road, so that was easy. We also passed the remains of a car spread across the ground. The driver said something in Mongolian to Tsolmon and he translated for me, saying that if I was out walking in that area to be careful because there are landmines! That wasn't in the brochure!! Apparently the Russians came through here in the 1970s and mined the whole area, and the landmines are still there. I doubt there are any in the reserve itself, but I've still never been anywhere where when I'm spotlighting at night I need to worry about stepping on a landmine! Certainly not something I had associated with Mongolia!

The landscape is very different to Hustai, although still open steppe country. Around Shivee Gobi the grassland is as flat as a chessboard, and only as you get nearer to the reserve does it start to become a bit more undulating, with numerous rock outcrops. It never really becomes properly hilly like at Hustai, and the outcrops are quite different. At Hustai they are scattered individual piles, looking like someone has just dumped piles of rocks here and there. At Ikh Nart there are outcrops everywhere, and they are more molded, as if a giant rock-heating blowtorch has been run over top to melt the rocks together. They don't have all the deep cavities and tunnels through the piles like at Hustai, just clefts and nooks. It is very disorientating walking through them because you only need to walk for ten minutes and you can't tell where you've come from. During the day I used my shadow to tell direction, and at night the stars, so I never got lost (a regular boy scout, I am). It took me a while to figure out what the landscape reminded me of, but it is pictures I've seen of the American Badlands (another famous dinosaur area). It was also very reminiscent of Mars, if you tinted it all red, but it would have to be H.G. Wells' Mars because of all the grass and scraggly vegetation.

It's a bit hard to write about the camp because the area is great, the staff were very friendly and tried to be helpful, but the whole organisation is shambolic, starting at the central office itself in Ulan Baatar. It's hard to describe the issues because they are so varied and numerous, but for a tourist outfit for which you're paying quite a bit of money you do expect something more, well, organised. A lot of the problems are rather minor and could be ignored but there are so many minor problems that they all add up to leave visitors very disgruntled. A couple of other guests there left under an extremely black cloud. Good points: very good food, and unlike Hustai the van to be driven around the park was free (if you recall the transport within Hustai was US$1 per kilometre).

I hadn't seen any pikas at Hustai so I guess I was just in the wrong area. At Ikh Nart, as soon as I arrived at the camp I saw about a dozen in the outcrops directly around the gers. They were so common that where-ever you were if you pointed your binoculars at any outcrop there would be a 99.9% chance of having at least one pika in the view. Really neat animals, like a giant mouse but with enormous out-of-proportion ears. Although they look like rodents they are actually lagomorphs, related to rabbits and hares, and now having seen them in real life I was surprised how rabbit-like the face is, even if the ears are round instead of pointy. They usually are seen just sitting on sentry-duty on tops of rocks, but they also go scurrying around on the grass, collecting mouthfuls of it to take back to their burrows. They pack it all in there and whenever there's any hint of sun they drag it all out to dry into hay, and that is what they eat during the winter. The pikas I didn't see at Hustai are Daurian pikas; the ones at Ikh Nart are called Pallas' pika.

Back in the heyday of natural history, intrepid men went off on solo trips to far-flung parts of the world for months or years at a time, basically going to discover new animals and plants. The earlier ones were usually missionaries or military men, but the later ones were often under the hire of museums and private collectors. I've mentioned Colonel Przewalski already, and later I may mention the missionary Armand David, but one of the proper scientists was the German zoologist Peter Simon Pallas who lived and studied in Russia in the late 1700s. Pallas undertook many scientific expeditions and discovered a number of new animals, plants and even minerals (Pallasite is named after him). As I've said, I was looking for Pallas' cat, but while at Ikh Nart I saw Pallas' pika, Pallas' leaf-warbler, and Pallas' sandgrouse.

When I arrived at the camp, there were already three other people there, a French guy living in the UK and two Belgian journalists. I don't think Ikh Nart gets many more than that at a time. It isn't exactly on the tourist circuit for Mongolia. The weather was warm and completely still. After dark I went out spot-lighting wearing a t-shirt, whereas at Hustai I had been wearing four layers, a scarf and gloves at night! I quickly found some five-toed jerboas bouncing around the camp area, but the night was cut short by approaching clouds and lightning on the horizon so I thought it prudent to return to my ger. The mammal list for Ikh Nart which I'd prepared before leaving New Zealand was from an extensive survey published in 2006. The only species of five-toed jerboa (Allactaga) they found during trapping was the Mongolian five-toed jerboa A. sibirica, but in a booklet I bought at Hustai there is also listed the Gobi jerboa Allactaga bullata. I think the survey would have found those, unless they are just really rare there, so I have a suspicion that someone made the assumption that because the reserve is on the Gobi the Allactaga they saw must be Gobi jerboas and that's how it got on the list. But I don't know for sure, and I also don't know how (or even if it is possible) to tell the two species apart by torch-light, so I have left them in my notes as just “Allactaga sp.

The next morning the others were going driving for animals, so I went along. Mammaling and birding don't go together very well. Driving along the dirt road there were heaps of larks going every which way (most or all would have been horned larks which were very very common; I'm used to calling these shore larks but that seems like a silly name when you're in such an arid landscape so I have decided to change to horned lark). There were some smaller birds sighted briefly as well, but nothing could be identified. However there were a few big birds as well (lots of cinereous vultures for example) and we saw groups of argali twice and Siberian ibex once. All the big animals here are extremely wary. As soon as they see the van they disappear – not just over to the other side of the outcrop, but over the outcrop and then as fast as they can towards the horizon, getting as much distance as possible between them and us. I managed a few shots of argali but never got a photo of ibex. I think that behaviour has to be due to poaching, for which Ikh Nart has a serious problem. The nearby mining town I reckon plays a big part in this. The other major problem here is predation by domestic dogs. Apparently packs of dogs roam the reserve hunting the wild animals. Because Ikh Nart is a Nature Reserve and not a National Park there are no restrictions on livestock (the dogs are kept to protect the gers and herds from wolves, and almost everything I've read about Mongolia makes mention of the ferocity of the dogs). I was constantly seeing herds of horses, cows, sheep and goats. The latter two in particular obviously compete directly with the argali and ibex. I was never comfortable out here at night because of the dogs. I never actually saw or heard any but it was always on my mind that if I met a pack at night in open country an hour from the camp....well, it might not end well for me!

In the afternoon the others were going to the research camp in the middle of the reserve. I was interested in finding out if anyone there was doing anything with Pallas' cats but it turned out that it was the sort of research where they do general surveys using Earthwatch volunteers. Because there was a little group of us the volunteers assumed we were a “tour group” and looked down their superior saving-the-planet noses at us. The woman in charge was little better. Now I know “tourists” don't generally contain the brightest of people so I can understand dumbing things down, but it should be obvious when the person you're talking to actually does know a thing or two, and that's when you should stop treating them as if they are borderline retarded! So not the greatest of impressions there. They did have a long-eared hedgehog in a trap which they had caught the night before, attached a transmitter to, and were going to release that night. I mentioned that they really shouldn't be giving it a saucer of milk because hedgehogs can't digest cow's milk and it just makes them sick, but they didn't seem to worry (after all, what does a tourist know!). Later I was told that most of the hedgehogs they tag die not long after release.

Once again, spot-lighting at night didn't last long. It had been windy all day – the sort of chilling wind like at Hustai – and I was tired and frankly couldn't get any motivation so I packed it in after just a couple of hours having seen only five-toed jerboas and Mongolian three-toed jerboas (the latter one was a new species for me, and they were common around the camp).

Apart for the argali and ibex, the other large animals I wanted to try and see at Ikh Nart were the two species of Mongolian gazelles and the Asiatic wild ass. They all occur seasonally in the reserve so I wasn't sure if I would see them or not. The driver reckoned he knew where the gazelles would be, but apparently I wouldn't see the asses because “they run too fast” which I took to mean that they disappear before you you even know they are there. On the second morning the French guy and I went gazelle hunting. Of gazelles we saw not a sign, but we did find a Siberian pit-viper (Agkistrodon halys) which I guess counts for something. Better animal-watching results were at a small “lake” we were taken to. I'm not sure the French guy was that enamoured about looking at waders but I was (sort of). The lake was about a hundred square metres, more of a shrinking pool than anything, but I added quite a few birds to my Mongolian list. It was quite good the pond was so small actually because I could skirt right around it and therefore managed to identify almost every single wader on there (which for me is an achievement!). In the middle were a few common greenshanks and about ten common redshanks, a wood sandpiper, about a dozen curlew sandpipers, and a few little weeny ones which must have been some kind of stint (they were the only ones I couldn't see well enough to ID). Around the edges with the grey and white wagtails were a flock of nothern lapwings, a ruddy turnstone, some little ringed plovers and (best of all) a common snipe. I've always wanted to see a snipe and I was amazed how much smaller it was than I had been expecting (of course that is a common reaction when seeing animals for the first time). A really cool bird is the snipe.

The night was perfect – warm and windless – but of Pallas' cats not a sign. I had been inspired (or perhaps frustrated) because I had read in the log-book that a birder had seen a Pallas' cat just one month before I was there. I gave it a good shot, but lots of jerboas, a couple of Tolai hares and the eye-shine from a distant fox was the lot for the night. After I had spotted the fox it started calling. I liked the sound of wolves at Hustai but the fox call is just dead creepy when out alone at night!

The other three guests and Tsolmon had all left that evening to get the train back to Ulan Baatar (it leaves at midnight!), so the next day I was alone in the camp apart for the driver and the cook. I was told it had snowed in the city that day. Did I mention that Ulan Baatar is the coldest capital city in the world? And did I mention that it is currently summer? Because I was alone now, and I'd already seen the argali and ibex and failed at gazelle, I used this day to just go walking for birds. The previous days the birding had been rather incidental, although I had added some new ones to the trip list (like horned lark, rock sparrow, olive-backed pipit, upland buzzard and saker falcon). I'd seen a few kestrels too but never close enough to tell if they were lesser or common kestrels. I had some of the same problems I had at Hustai (open country meant the birds weren't often close enough for me to tell what they were!) but I did discover that the wheatears were mostly desert wheatears! I had seen a northern wheatear on my first day and after that had assumed all the ones I was seeing in passing were the same species, but today on foot I actually got to look at them properly. Funny thing but I never saw any pied wheatears which are supposed to be one of the commonest birds there. Three times flocks of twenty to thirty Pallas' sandgrouse flew past (really noisy in flight!). A female Siberian rubythroat had me musing over why I never seem to see male birds (you know, the pretty ones!) but I did see a male later in the day so that was good. A puzzler was the thrushy sort of bird which was one of the most skulking things I've seen in a while, but I got it in the end as an eye-browed thrush (or rather two eye-browed thrushes because I saw another one later as well). Lots of toad-headed agamas too, mostly babies, but the adults are beautiful. I even found some fresh Pallas' cat droppings! I searched the surrounding outcrops but there were few crevices for it to be hidden in and it wasn't in any of the ones I could find.

Early morning had been calm but by mid-morning the strong wind had returned (but a warm wind this time, not cold) and the birds all seemed to vanish. I went back to camp about 3pm and thought I'd have a little lie down. Next thing I know there's a knock on the door and it's the driver saying it is dinner time! He had brought two more people from the train, who would be the last guests for the season because the camp was closing up on the 15 September (a few days hence). Unfortunately for them, I was leaving that night for the midnight train and so there was nobody else there who spoke English. They weren't very impressed! Before I left I gave them a quick run-down on how things worked and hoped they coped!!

So no Pallas' cat. I've only got a few more days in Mongolia, but there is still some slim hope for the next country I'll be in. I did see the eye-shine from one (probably) at Hustai which is actually more than I had expected!

BIRDS:
87) Horned lark Eremophila alpestris
88) Rock sparrow Petronia petronia
89) Upland buzzard Buteo hemilasius
90) Olive-backed pipit Anthus hodgsoni
91) Saker Falco cherrug

92) Little owl Athene noctua
93) Northern lapwing Vanellus vanellus
94) Common snipe Gallinago gallinago
95) Little ringed plover Charadrius dubius

96) Curlew sandpiper Calidris ferruginea
97) Wood sandpiper Tringa glareola
98) Little bunting Emberiza pusilla
99) Siberian rubythroat Luscinia calliope
100) Pallas' sandgrouse Syrrhaptes paradoxus
101) Eye-browed thrush Turdus obscurus
102) Desert wheatear Oenanthe deserti

103) Pallas' leaf-warbler Phylloscopus proregulus

MAMMALS:
11) Argali Ovis ammon
12) Pallas' pika Ochotona pallasii
13) Siberian ibex Capra sibirica
14) Mongolian three-toed jerboa Dipus sagitta

See also here for a photo of a buzzard if anyone else wants to stab at it: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=266451

Opposite the Nomadic Journeys office is the Ulan Baatar Natural History Museum. I was looking forward to seeing this because Mongolia is famous for its dinosaur deposits and there are some good displays here. Also the palaeontologist most famous for work in Mongolia is Roy Chapman Andrews, and allegedly it was he on whom George Lucas modelled Indiana Jones! I, of course, am allegedly modelled on Indiana Jones so it makes a nice circle. Unfortunately the museum has been closed indefinitely because the building is structurally unsound.
here's a short article on the closing of the museum (which was in May, so I just missed seeing it): http://www.infomongolia.com/ct/ci/6094

Today I went for a long walk to the Tuul River south of town. As you may recall I already tried the Selbe River, which is also in the south of town but which turned out to be more canal-like than river-like. The Tuul River is a proper river and it isn't far away. If I had been able to walk there in a direct line from my guesthouse I could have got there in half an hour, but instead just before the river you hit a highway and have to follow that for ages until you can find a side-road to the river (or in my case, until I managed to find a gap in the wall of buildings and make a quick cross-country ramble).

The sky was blue and cloudless, but warm it was not. Before heading out in the morning I had checked the weather online to make sure it wasn't going to rain. It said that it was currently minus 7 degrees Celsius! I thought that couldn't be right, but it was certainly minus something, because at the river there was a heavy frost and all the puddles were frozen solid! I wished I had taken my gloves with me! The river is really nice, crystal-clear, and quite deep and fast-flowing so not frozen. It is edged either side with a dense mini-forest of willow scrub, and you know what's found in willow scrub don't you? That's right – azure tits!

I figured they must be here so when I saw something bright blue fly from a willow into a tree I knew that must be one. Turns out only the wings and tail are azure blue, the rest of the bird is like a washed-out powder blue, so when seen from a distance it looks almost white. It was sort of a disappointment but they were really common and the more I saw them the more I liked them. It helped that they weren't at all flighty like most of the birds here, so I got to watch them for long periods. By the end of the morning I had decided that they were the nicest tits I have ever seen. There were also great tits here which being “real” great tits (as opposed to the splitty ones) are also very attractive, and willow tits and white-crowned penduline tits as well. There were actually heaps of birds all through the willows, although most I had seen already this trip (yellow-browed and Pallas' leaf warblers, Daurian redstarts, little buntings, red-breasted flycatchers, long-tailed rosefinches, black-faced buntings, grey wagtails, Daurian partridges). Lesser whitethroat was new. I even saw a common snipe near a flooded bit of ground, and it must be woodcock migration season or something because I flushed no less than four of them. I got the first one in the binoculars as it flew off so I can count it, but I spent ages unsuccessfully walking round and round looking at the ground trying to find an unflushed one to look at.

104) Azure tit Cyanistes cyanus
105) Lesser whitethroat Sylvia curruca
106) Eurasian woodcock Scolopax rusticola

I spent ages unsuccessfully walking round and round looking at the ground trying to find an unflushed one to look at.
In my experience that is (almost) impossible. I've only managed "by accident" in harsh winter conditions when they can show up in gardens or walk out onto lawns.

Enjoying the report - Wikipedia has a nice entry on the Tuul River which shows visitors have enjoyed it for a good 200 years .

While your Great Tit might be 'real' do bear in mind that Taiga Flycatcher and Red-breasted Flycatcher are very similar and you would have a fair chance of finding both.

Looking forward to the next stage of your journey.

Cheers
Mike

While your Great Tit might be 'real' do bear in mind that Taiga Flycatcher and Red-breasted Flycatcher are very similar and you would have a fair chance of finding both.

I saw taiga flycatchers in Russia, and red-breasted in Mongolia. I always check them to be sure of which one because handily they are right next to each other for comparison in the East Asia guide. Always just see females (or maybe uncoloured males?) though.

On great tits, anyone know the subspecies in Ulan Baatar? I didn't know if it would be major or kapustini (from IBC website). Also I am, believe it or not, leaning heavily towards splitting the great tits! In Russia I saw minor I think it was and then a few days later I saw major and they really look so different that I have been almost swayed. I'd never seen them so close to one another in time before and it is quite a striking difference.

This morning I went back to the Tuul River. I got there faster this time because I had picked up some short-cut points. I had taken my gloves and also another layer of clothing but it turned out not to be as cold as yesterday so they remained in my bag. The birds were much the same as yesterday except no snipe or woodcocks but even heaps more azure tits and Daurian redstarts, as well as a male Siberian rubythroat. Best for the morning was a tree of Daurian jackdaws, and another tree with a red squirrel in it. The red squirrels here aren't actually red, they are a rich browny-black with pure white bellies. What I really want to see is a hoopoe! I've seen them in the Waterfall Aviary at Jurong BirdPark, but never in the wild. I looked in South Korea, I looked in Russia, and I looked in Mongolia. No joy yet.

And that's it for this country. I am outta Mongolia! (See what I did there? Pretty clever!). Tomorrow morning I fly off to Beijing for the exciting China part of the trip.

Ulan Baatar gets a bad rap in travel books, but I never even got knifed once while I was here. I think the city's bad reputation is greatly exaggerated which is a shame. It is also regularly labelled with words like dirty, smelly, ugly. But I liked it. I may have been swayed by the fact that it now tops my list of cities with the most beautiful girls (knocking Kota Kinabalu off the top), and for that I have to thank Genghis Khan. On the wall at Idree's Guesthouse where I was staying there is a big poster showing the Mongol Empire. Have a look on the internet for a similar map – their empire was immense! It stretched from Europe in the west; south to Baghdad and the Persian Gulf; around the Himalayas (apparently they never took India); included the entirety of China and Russia, and down into Thailand and Burma; Vietnam and Cambodia had to pay tribute to them; they even tried to invade Java! Naturally women from all over the empire were sent back to Mongolia for the harems of the khans, and it is from mixing all of these that today's Mongolian women are created. Genghis Khan: he's all right in my book.

Mongolia as a whole I really enjoyed. It is easily in my top favourite places I've been, and I'm already contemplating returning at some point. I didn't have long here (about two and a half weeks) so I'd really like to come back for longer and do some trips after wild camels and saiga and snow leopards. If so I'd probably combine it with an organised tour for the Baikal seal in Russia.

Everybody should go to Mongolia!

Also I am, believe it or not, leaning heavily towards splitting the great tits! In Russia I saw minor I think it was and then a few days later I saw major and they really look so different that I have been almost swayed. I'd never seen them so close to one another in time before and it is quite a striking difference.
Your observations are supported by: Kvist et al, 2003. Evolution and genetic structure of the great tit (Parus major) complex. Proc R Soc London B 270, 1447.

bah, now you've said that I've been looking at the field guide again thinking "did I really get them right?". I'm leaving them as how I ID"d them, but I'm thinking I may have hashed one or two up. Never mind.

So I'm in Beijing. The Mongolian tourism slogan is “Land Of The Blue Sky”. Beijing's is “Land Of I Guess There Must Be Sky Up There Somewhere”. No, it's not really that bad; I never really noticed any pollution issues this first day. First surprise on arrival: the airport is so big that you have to take a train from the international arrival terminal to the one where the baggage claim is! That was a little confusing. After some initial hassles at the airport with one not-very-informative Tourist Information Counter and one very helpful Some Other Tourist Information Counter, I took the express train into the city for 25 Yuan (and not the limousine car for 500 Yuan which the first Tourist Counter tried to get me to take with the claim that there were no trains or buses from the airport to the city, to which I pointed out the signs for trains and buses from the airport to the city!), then caught another couple of subway trains for just 2 Yuan to Nanluoguxiang (try saying that fast!) from where I somehow managed to find my way on foot to the Downtown Backpackers with only a vague idea of where it was in relation to the station. In case you're wondering there are roughly 5 Yuan to one New Zealand dollar, so for less than 50 cents you can subway your way across the city as far as you want.

The Nanluoguxiang street where the backpackers is was the next surprise. It was like a cleaned-up boutique version of Khao San Road in Bangkok, not at all what I expected, and packed with tourists (mostly Chinese tourists apparently) brandishing all manner of cameras, through which weaved bicycles, motorbikes, rickshaws and the occasional car or truck. After checking in to the backpackers and booking a couple of intercity trains for Xian and Shanghai for the next legs, I headed off to the supermarket to fetch some bottles of water and things. In the entrance to the supermarket was a little pet area, with tubs full of dozens of baby red-eared and Reeves' turtles (many already floating upside-down), goldfish, fiddler crabs, land crabs, jars of fighting fish, and tanks of gouramis and parrot cichlids. Inside the supermarket the tins of spam and mackerel were in locked glass cases, presumably to combat rampat spam thefts.

I had been going to head to the Summer Palace to try my hand at Chinese birding, but on the map I was given at reception I noticed two large lakes called Houhai Lake and Beihai Park which were within easy walking distance. They looked just right, and the girl at reception said that yes there was a park around them with trees. I think the Chinese and I might have different interpretations of what constitutes a park with trees however. Houhai Lake turned out to be a fully concrete-rimmed reservoir, for want of a better term, surrounded by cafes and restaurants. I took a better look at the map and realised that what I had thought were little symbols for trees were actually wine glasses! Having seen only tree sparrows, common magpies and lots and lots of old Chinese people and tourists, I headed to the south end of Houhai Lake to try Beihai Park. What I found was a big wall (not a great wall, just a big one). You needed to pay to get into Beihai Park. The sign said 10 Yuan. I handed over a 20 and waited for change. The woman just looked at me blankly. I made it clear that the sign said 10 and she very grumpily gave me change. First day, already trying to rip me off!! Beihai Park was also not what I was after. I think the reason you have to pay is because of the buildings and temples in there. I walked round the west side of the lake first. You know those square holes in the paving in which trees grow, and there is gravel around the tree trunk? Here the gravel is all cemented in place around the tree and looks like it has been lacquered! It's just that kind of place.

I was very pleased to see a group of azure-winged magpies. For some reason I had always thought of them as having short tails, like a jay, but they instead have long tails like the regular magpies. Nice birds they are, really common here as well; I reckon I'm going to see them at every free park I visit. When I reached the road at the far end I walked all the way back the way I'd come and went round the east side of the lake. This was a bit better, more trees and grass (not a lot, but more than the west side). I could hear a crow cawing and thought it sounded like a carrion (Oriental) crow so I popped off the path to see. Two big black birds were on the ground amongst the trees. “Ah, crows,” I thought, but once I got the binoculars on them it was obvious they weren't crows. In fact they looked more like some kind of thrush, but what the heck sort of thrush gets that big?! I suddenly realised they were blackbirds! I mean, holy smokes, what sort of steroids are they feeding blackbirds over here!! I had heard Chinese blackbirds were bigger than European blackbirds but I didn't think the difference would be that huge! Whoever thought they belonged to the same species as the European one needs their head read!

First day in China has been pretty trippy. People everywhere. Seriously: everywhere, people. Also I was not enjoying climbing so many stone steps around the temple on the island in the lake – too much walking on the flat open steppe, that's my problem! I saw six people today wearing kitty cat ears on their heads; five of them were girls. I found a restaurant where I got a big plate of “noodles with meat sauce” (basically spaghetti bolognese) for 18 Yuan – about NZ$3.50. It isn't easy eating spaghetti bolognese with chopsticks. If I can get used to the over-abundance of people I think I will like China. Just have to hope some sort of zombie virus doesn't get released here though – the way the people are packed in it would only take about three hours for the whole of the country to become zombies.

107) Daurian jackdaw Corvus dauuricus (from Mongolia, forgot to list it in the last entry)
108) Azure-winged magpie Cyanopica cyanus
109) Chinese blackbird Turdus mandarinus

110) Spot-necked dove Streptopelia chinensis

Last edited:
I could hear a crow cawing and thought it sounded like a carrion (Oriental) crow so I popped off the path to see. Two big black birds were on the ground amongst the trees. “Ah, crows,” I thought, but once I got the binoculars on them it was obvious they weren't crows. In fact they looked more like some kind of thrush, but what the heck sort of thrush gets that big?! I suddenly realised they were blackbirds! I mean, holy smokes, what sort of steroids are they feeding blackbirds over here!! I had heard Chinese blackbirds were bigger than European blackbirds but I didn't think the difference would be that huge! Whoever thought they belonged to the same species as the European one needs their head read!

ROFL ! 3:)

You'll find that pretty much every city park charges some sort of entrance fee - usually 10-20 RMB. I'm surprised they tried to rip you off on the admission fee, tho. I've never had that happen. Other rip-offs yes. Not on the admission fee. But the "no train" rip-off is common at Chinese airports. You'll learn to ignore the touts.

And the Chinese concept of a park is quite different than the Western one. A Western park is where man goes to get out into nature. A Chinese park is where nature is made to submit to the whims of man.

Last edited:
You'll find that pretty much every city park charges some sort of entrance fee - usually 10-20 RMB. I'm surprised they tried to rip you off on the admission fee, tho. I've never had that happen. Other rip-offs yes. Not on the admission fee. But the "no train" rip-off is common at Chinese airports. You'll learn to ignore the touts.

And the Chinese concept of a park is quite different than the Western one. A Western park is where man goes to get out into nature. A Chinese park is where nature is made to submit to the whims of man.

All true. There is not usually a 2 tier ticketing system, but that may exist some places still? Very unusual to not get change - perhaps a misunderstanding? Yes, beware of who you take advice from in the airport.

Yes, on the parks too. I do recommend the Olympic Forest Park for an in-city more like a real park place (not on weekends - well I don't recommend any park on weekends) - it was free when I last went. Botanical Garden (I'm not clear which of the two) is also supposed to be good. Of course this time of year, an interesting bird could turn up lots of places in Beijing.

I really like the Azure-winged Magpies too....

Yes, on the parks too. I do recommend the Olympic Forest Park for an in-city more like a real park place (not on weekends - well I don't recommend any park on weekends) - it was free when I last went. Botanical Garden (I'm not clear which of the two) is also supposed to be good. Of course this time of year, an interesting bird could turn up lots of places in Beijing.

I really like the Azure-winged Magpies too....
over the next couple of days I intend on getting to the Summer Palace, Olympic Park and the Botanic Gardens. So hopefully I'll see a few new birds.....

I think the China part of this thread is going to be interesting, because there's quite a few members who live/have lived/have travelled a lot in China.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back