• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ringed Nuthatch (1 Viewer)

Mick Harris

United Kingdom
Hi saw this bird last week in my East Surrey garden and wondered if there is enough info visible for it to be of interest?

Thanks for looking,

Mick H.

Attachments

• _G3B9673.jpg
    _G3B9673.jpg
    711.3 KB · Views: 164
Probably not quite..... It's a BTO ring and most likely a local bird - do you know anyone ringing locally? Numbers look like 5943 but BTO rings generally have a letter and 6 numbers.....

Probably not quite..... It's a BTO ring and most likely a local bird - do you know anyone ringing locally? Numbers look like 5943 but BTO rings generally have a letter and 6 numbers.....

It might be possible. It's a B ring, so will have two letters followed by 5 numbers. From the position, I think 5 is the first number, so it will be

Letter-Letter-5943-number, something like e.g. TJ59430

The BTO wont be abe to trace it from that alone, as you don't have any letters so don't know the ring series. But local ringers could probably work it out. Nuthatches don't tend to move very far, so chances are it was ringed within a couple of miles.

Agree with Jon and Alf. Your nearest ringer, if he/she puts B rings on a few species (e.g. Greenfinch, House Sparrow, Great Tit...), may be able to get it down to the individual, if there is only one Nuthatch out of all birds ringed __59430 to __59439. Therefore it is worth asking around!

We don't have any Nuthatches on the BTO database with rings including 5943 so I can only presume this is a bird only ringed recently or one ringed a while ago and onlyexisting on a paper record. By the look of the ring the latter is perhaps more likely, but impossible to trace... I'll check again at a later date, so watch this space.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back