• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leg Band Found On Seashore. (1 Viewer)

rnorwood1946

While on vacation in Newfoundland Canada and walking along the sea shore near the town of Ferryland, I found this leg band. (see image) The band appears to be made of nickle or stainless steel. I reported the band to USGS Bird Banding Laboratory but they just reply with "it is not one of ours." The number is,
LF 6974. I would really like to know more about it's history but I do not know where to look.

Attachments

Do you mind my asking what makes you think it's a bird band/ring?
I'm only used to the european rings, although they're not often like this one.

I have looked at many bands via Google and many of them look just like this. Most are aluminum though some are stainless or nickel alloy. The image could have been better I suppose. There is a split in the ring for opening and closing and it has an assigned number as do most migratory bird bands. I am not positive what it is but I think it is a bird band.

What's missing is any return address; all standard bird rings have that, as well as a number.

Also odd with this ring is that the figures 6 and the 9 are both unusual shapes, almost looking hand-engraved, rather than machine-tooled. And the consecutive numbers aren't completely level either, more evidence of an amateur job.

What's missing is any return address; all standard bird rings have that, as well as a number.
Talking about scientific rings only, not about bird fanciers, eg: http://translate.google.com/transla...www.stengel-fussring.de/de/node/124&sandbox=1

Also odd with this ring is that the figures 6 and the 9 are both unusual shapes, almost looking hand-engraved, rather than machine-tooled. And the consecutive numbers aren't completely level either, more evidence of an amateur job.
Agreed, from the proportions it looks like a pigeon band.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back