• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Conquest 10 x 30 (1 Viewer)

pix

I'm an advanced beginner birdwatcher, senior in age, slight in stature and blind as a bat. After lurking in the Birdforum for a while I realize that you all know a lot more than me about binoculars and I could use some help.
For the last few years I've used some Pentax 8 x 32 DCF WPs but would like to go to a 10 in something. Considered the Nikon Monarch 10 x 42 but didn't like them. Also tried the Minox 10 x 42 BD ALT BR which seemed ok.
I'm curious about the Conquest 10 x 30s as they are available at a great price.
They are brighter and sharper than the Pentax and they feel good in my hands. I realize there are twilight and field of view issues. My husband points out that with my vision, I wouldn't see anything at twilight no matter the quality of the bins - he's also an accountant and the thought of $1000+ binoculars might make me a widow (I'd rather keep him alive). I looked at the 10 x 40s but they are close to that $1000 mark while the 30s are under $400.

So, if not the Conquest 10 x 30s, what else should I look at?

pix said:
I'm an advanced beginner birdwatcher, senior in age, slight in stature and blind as a bat. After lurking in the Birdforum for a while I realize that you all know a lot more than me about binoculars and I could use some help.
For the last few years I've used some Pentax 8 x 32 DCF WPs but would like to go to a 10 in something. Considered the Nikon Monarch 10 x 42 but didn't like them. Also tried the Minox 10 x 42 BD ALT BR which seemed ok.
I'm curious about the Conquest 10 x 30s as they are available at a great price.
They are brighter and sharper than the Pentax and they feel good in my hands. I realize there are twilight and field of view issues. My husband points out that with my vision, I wouldn't see anything at twilight no matter the quality of the bins - he's also an accountant and the thought of $1000+ binoculars might make me a widow (I'd rather keep him alive). I looked at the 10 x 40s but they are close to that $1000 mark while the 30s are under $400.

So, if not the Conquest 10 x 30s, what else should I look at?

Tough one. I don't think that the Conquest 10x30 is much better than Nikon Monarch 10 x 42. Have you looked through the Conquests? Do you like them?

If Minox 10 x 42 BD ALT BR seemed ok, get them.

Do you like your Pentax? If so, you might want to look at the Pentax DCF XP. Their 10X33 is available from Cabela's for $429

Leupold WindRiver Katmais are available in a 10X32 for $399 also from Cabela's.

Just a quick thought here, but you sound like you might be a candidate for Canon's 10 x 30 IS binocular. Their anti shake technology might be just the ticket for you. You could probably handle their 12 x 36 also. Worth a thought, I think.

Cordially,
Bob

I've viewed a number of the Conquests, and I thought they were really nice and definitely had one of the better views for a upper-mid-priced binocular... Their field of view is a little limited compared to the high end lines of comparable magnification + objective size, but they are really clear and bright, with a tad of noticable chromatic aberration, which wasn't really disturbing unless you looked for it specifically.

I tend to agree with just about all of the previous statements. Though they offer a somewhat sharper image I did not think the Conquests were that much better than the Monarchs optically overall. Possibly a slightly wider field of view when compared 8x versions of both bins..and probably 10x as well though I do not have the specs handy. Since you are aware of the low light issue with a 10x30 bin (as compared to an 8x30 or 8x42) I will not touch on it.

I believe the Conquests are one of the better $400-$600 bins out there right now though must agree that the Canon 10x30 IS, the Pentax XPs or the Leupold WindRiver Katmais would also fit the bill. I do believe though that the Conquests offer, IMHO, the best image quality of the bunch.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back