• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hanging coconut (1 Viewer)

davydavi

davydavi
I tried several years ago to attract the tits to a coconut hanging in my garden but it went bad and there was no interest.
I have recently had more birds as i've more time to put out feeders etc. I bought a coconut at the weekend and hung it out. Some tits had a quick look but decided it was not worth investigating. Do they actually like the stuff?
I have seen some pictures in magazines that shows them feeding on them.
I know they are now sold in pet shops with suet filling but I want them to taste the actual rich coconut flesh!
Any suggestions. I get plenty of BT's, GT's and CT's feeding so variety is not a problem.

The only coconut we ever bought (from Sainsbury's) was like wood inside and quite inedible - and the tits thought so too. IMO you would do far better to make a bird cake of beef dripping and finely ground (by a food mixer) coconut or peanuts. Melt the dripping, pour in the nuts, maybe fill out a bit with bread crumbs if you like. I just hang mine out bare (the fat cakes that is!) but you could fill an empty coconut shell if you want something inverted that will keep Starlings other greedy species off.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back