• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is the price of a 7d really justified when compared to a 550d/T2i? (1 Viewer)

No it isn't a silly questions - yes the 7D has the better AF system and the dual processor (giving it the faster frame rate), but the 550D is still a very good camera. I've not done a side by side comparisson (I assume from your statement that you have) but I see no reason why the 550D won't delivery very similar image quality, it will just need more care to get the shot. As for whether the extra cost is justified I think that's not an easy one to answer. If you already have a decent lens and can afford the 7D then why not, but if you're looking to start out and on a limited budget then a 550D with a better lens will outperform a 7D with an inferior lens.

I feel that there is a tendancy to dismiss the entry level bodies to quickly. Sure they are a bit slower and smaller (which suits some) than the 50D/7D ranges buy they are also a hell of a lot cheaper too and as such are a great starting point (I guess that's why they are often referred to as entry level)! For the first three years that I shot with Canon I used entry bodies (350D and then 400D). I have since moved on to 'better', more expensive bodies, but still some of my best shots were taken with the 350D & 400D.

So is the extra cost of the 7D over the 550D justified? Only the individual who going to spend their own money on it can decided that one. Is the 7D a better camera than the 550D? Yes, but then from what I've read the 7D is a toy compared to the mkIV...;)

Good call Peter! I've just picked up a 400D as a down grade from the 50D for my macro work and couldn't be happier. The smaller size suits and the mp, FPS, AF etc. aren't an issue. For £150 I'm well happy. Saves the 50D's shutter for other things;)

The movie crop mode, giving approx 7x magnification, a feature of the 550d, could be really useful for birding.
However, I haven't seen any results with this function, other than shots of the moon through a low focal length lens.

It isn't HD, but if it is half decent quality, then it would certainly give unrivalled magnification.

I'm a real fan of the 550D - with Nikon prime lenses, just to shake things up a little. I considered 7d, but I couldn't justify the difference in price. So I've just put that towards the most solid tripod I could afford - that to me will make the most difference to quality with HD video. I have used the movie crop mode and it's a neat function but, knowing for every benefit there is a cost, the 7x crop factor also magnifies any optical defects in the lenses. So my Nikkor 300 and doubler give me an equivalent mag of a lens approaching 7000mm when you include the crop factor of both the chip and movie crop mode. It's a neat feature that gets me some nice record shots, but I prefer to shoot at full HD and then crop that frame in movie editing software. With my two stacked doublers and a 300mm, I'm getting the equivalent of a 1920mm lens at full HD and, if I choose to crop to standard TV resolution, I can achieve the equivalent of a 3600mm lens. Keeping that steady is a huge challenge, hence the investment in the mother of all tripods. I kind of hope that Canon will introduce a firmware upgrade to allow a full HD 1080p crop mode - that would really be neat

Faster frame rate, AF system, better viewfinder and ergonomics features must be sufficient value add for most 7D customers. As far as I can remember, 7D is the first time (since 20D) where Canon did not have to significantly discount a new 1.6x crop model within a year of its introduction.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back