• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coolpix 990 and Kowa 821 (1 Viewer)

Alf King

I'm just about to enter the digiscoping scene having acquired a 990 to try with my Kowa 821 scope with a 27X wa lens. I would appreciate any advice and comments regarding the best type of adaptor to use with this combo together with any problems that anyone has had with the small number of suppliers in the market.

I am using the Kowa 823 with the CP4500 - the measurements are all the same as your set up.

There are a few different adapters available, but I'm using the London Camera Exchange one. If you phone them up, they'll ask you what equipment you are using and will send the appropriate adapter.

The adapter is compact, lightweight and very easy to fit. It comes with three small plastic screws to hold the adapter in place, but you can get away with just using one, on the angled scopes.

Last edited:
I have the same camera as you and the same scope as IanF but I use the Eagle Eye Adapter. It comes with 4 screws. I'm not sure which would be the best out of Ian's and my adapter. I also use the Eagle Eye 5 x Telephoto Lens for those shots that are a little too close for a scope and too far for just the camera. Don't forget a cable release and I would recommend the Jessops set up rather than the electronic remote. You need the release to help cut out camera shake which you get when using the finger for depressing the button.

Watch out for Andy Brights suggestion also as he is the master.

Hi Alf,

I'm using a CP990 and Kowa 822 combi with the LCE adapter. I wasn't too happy having to shell out £50 for a tube with a thread in it though!

It's all OK but I find the screws tend to fall out if you're not careful whilst fitting the adapter.

I've got round this by leaving the adapter permanently attatched to the 32x eyepiece and the camera with cable release bracket and cable release, and using the 50x eyepiece for viewing. If I spot a photo opportunity I remove the viewing EP and fit the photo EP and setup with two twists of the wrist. It takes only seconds and is working for me.

Three problems remain;

1. I find the pics I'm getting are lacking contrast and suffering from quite a bit of purple fringing.

2. Write time to the card is horrendous, especially when taking bursts of shots.

3. Finding birds in good light, not hiding behind a million twigs, and posing nicely for more than half a nanosecond at a time seems virtually impossible!

All that said, digiscoping is one of the best journeys I've started and I'm enjoying it hugely. I hope you enjoy it as much as I am.

Woody

Alf ,i used the Eagle Eye adapter on a Kowa Tsn3 with a 30x eyepiece,on this eyepiece it does not work well, the main problem being trying to get the adapter central which is almost impossible.You may have simular problems with your eyepiece.I have never used an L.C.E. adapter but at £50 is almost half price of the Eagle Eye.

Alf, I use the cp4500 with my 821 and use the LCE adaptor, i find it pretty good and its about the cheapest out there,, its such a snug fit that i often dont bother with screws or only use the one, ive replaced the small screws with bigger ones anyway to make things easier!!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back