• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

TC or not TC with a 7D (1 Viewer)

citrinella

If using something like a 500 f4 L IS with a 7D, is the image degradation from using a 1.4TC better or worse than not using the TC and cropping instead ?

Anybody looked at this ?

Mike.

The same would apply with any camera body surely ? If cropping was always a better alternative there would be no demand for TC's.
TC's are just another means to an end.
The perfect shot for detail would be full frame with no cropping on a bare prime lens.
We all live in hope !

I have always thought that you get more detail by using a tc than you can by cropping heavier (providing that your lens takes a tc well, which usually means f4 or faster with the Canon 'L' long lenses) . I certainly believe that to be the case with my gear (300/2.8).

From everything I have read on the 500/4 it takes a 1.4tc very well with little drop in IQ. Most of the top bird snapper around use a 1.4tc with the 500/4 on a regular basis - I cannot image they would do so if they though they could do away with the tc and just crop heavier.

Just my 2p's worth Mike.

P.S. As rioja has indicated, I would not have thought that using a particular Camera body would have made any difference.

Last edited:
The same would apply with any camera body surely ? If cropping was always a better alternative there would be no demand for TC's.
TC's are just another means to an end.
The perfect shot for detail would be full frame with no cropping on a bare prime lens.
We all live in hope !

Maybe the 7d's 18mp gives more scope for cropping than say a 40d's 10mp

Can't give an answer for the 7D because I used a 1D mkIII but the quality of the images using a 500mm f4 with a Canon 1.4x tc was that good, that for me, it was a no brainer to use it pretty well all the time.
compared to the price of a 500mm f4 the tc price is a drop in the ocean, so again go for it ( I got mine free when I bought the lens ;))
Regarding other makes of tc, why? ........

as with most if not all lenses when you add a tc there is a drop in IQ but it is not enough to worry about on lenses like the 500f4 300f2.8 .
I think you would lose more detail cropping even on the 7d conpared to using the 1.4tc to get the same larger image size..
Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back