• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 7D (1 Viewer)

John In Ireland

Ireland
I am cosidering upgrading my Canon 450d for a 7D. Has anyone made this jump and regretted it? Has anyone made this jump and glad they did? I would hate to waste my hard earned money.

Last edited:
John

You will not regret buying the 7D. It's simply a superb Camera. Bigger than the 450D and takes CF rather than the SD cards of the 450D. They are the only two reasons I could think of that anybody would have any reason to complain if they made the jump. Oh, the RAW file sizes are huge too.
Andrew

I moved from a 400D to the 7D last autumn and don't regret it at all, it's a much better camera all round: the AF system is much better, it is highly customizable, the high ISO is better, the video is nice.................

Like Andrew said the files are huge. If you're running a reasonably new computer you'll be OK but if you're not it may get frustrating waiting for the 7D files to load.

John

I made that exact jump late last year. It's a quantum improvement all-round but you will find yourself a bit lost/intimidated with the huge menu and customizability (made up word) of the 7D. But a stepped, logical approach will get you there, albeit perhaps a bit slower than you'd like.

There is no comparison between the two cameras (bar the maker's name)! If you make the change you will not regret it.

Hi John,

I changed my 400D with the 7D and I am very happy about.
I would suggest you, before buying the 7D, to reed what was discussed on the forum about sharpness.

This camera need to be kept much more stable when photographing than 400D (and I presume 450D too). So I had to change from my monopode to a good tripod. I am happy about this too.

Cristian

Hi John,

I changed my 400D with the 7D and I am very happy about.
I would suggest you, before buying the 7D, to reed what was discussed on the forum about sharpness.

This camera need to be kept much more stable when photographing than 400D (and I presume 450D too). So I had to change from my monopode to a good tripod. I am happy about this too.

Cristian

Hmm... not too sure about this though. Anyone else agree with this statement?

I usually find that I haven't enough time for a tripod. My bird is often long gone by then. I rely on hand held a lot!!! Any alternative to the 7D????

Don't be put off John, You can use higher ISO to get more speed, Read all that as been posted in the forum, practice, and you won't look back, It is a very good camera!
My lens is none IS if yours is then all the better.

Hi John,

I have owned a 350D then a Samsung GX10 before upgrading to the 7D. In my opinion there is nothing to match it at or near to the price. Possible contenders would be:

Nikon D300s - by all accounts excellent but if you want to crop the 12mp sensor might be limiting.
Nikon D700 - Relatively expensive, again reportedly excellent but 12mp sensor albeit full frame, so no crop factor on lenses.
Canon EOS1D mk IV - Expensive with a capital E.
Canon EOS1D mk III - Secondhand and still expensive.
Canon EOS50D - Fantastic value but due to be replaced soon, reportedly noisy at high ISO settings, 9 point AF against the 7Ds 19.
Canon EOS40D - Probably would need to be secondhand, 10mp sensor.
Canon EOS550D - Excellent value for IQ, sensor and metering but not as quick on drive, 9 AF points. Handling (in my opinion is nowhere near as good as the 7D.)

Last edited:

I haven't found that to be the case at all.

If you look at the files at 100% they may sometimes look a little soft but with the 18MP files it's like looking at a big wall sized poster from a few centimetres away. As Thomas said don't pixel peep!

Can't say I'd noticed any difference, but the shutter action on the 7D is noticeably more 'meaningful'. Perhaps people are associating this with shutter-induced movement. However, I have not witnessed anything of the sort.

As far as lenses go, I have the Canon 400mm f5.6 non IS, the 100-400mm IS Zoom and the 500mm Sigma non IS and can get perfectly acceptable images off any of the lenses. You'll be absolutely fine with your 100-400mm zoom.

Because the 7D has smaller pixels than other cameras it can pick out image blur (due to camera shake, subject motion, lens diffraction) that other cameras would miss. Suppose you had camera shake that made the image of a point move on a 20D's sensor the width of one pixel - then the blur would be invisible. However, on a 7D that same blur would now spread over two or three pixels and would be visible - but only if you pixel-peep.

With the same image from the two cameras, printed at the same size, the blur would be the same size in both images. With those caveats, and all other things being equal, it is impossible for a higher-pixel-density sensor to produce a worse image than a sensor with low pixel density.

So the 7D's images won't be worse than another camera used for the same shot. But it has the potential to be better - if you can reduce the amount of blur. That means using a good lens, wide apertures and fast shutter speeds. The high-ISO performance of the 7D makes the latter much easier to acheive.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back