• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding equipment (1 Viewer)

adfgvx

I'm a new birder, and I was wondering what kind of birding equipment I need to have. I have a Canon FS100 digital camera as well as a pair of binoculars, but the binoculars don't suit me very well because I wear glasses and I have to take them off in order to see through them. I have been using the camera as both binoculars and camera, but the birds have to be fairly close in order for me to be able to take a picture clear enough to use for identification. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could do to see birds farther away? Or is it not reasonable to expect to see them farther away?

Last edited:
Some binoculars have rubber at the end of the eyepiece to keep non spectacle users eyes at the right distance from the glass, which can be folded back to use spectacles. They are awkward, likely to perish with time, and inconvenient if you want to hand your bins to a non spectacle user. And aren't very adjustable

Others, like my Bushnells, have a screw in and out attachment on their eyepieces, which makes it easy to set the eye relief to suit, and make it easy to share viewing.

In my view, much better. I'd go for something like that.

David B

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back