• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Middle of the day Bat for I.D. (Oxon) (1 Viewer)

Bismarck Honeyeater

Barely known member
Saw this Bat in Mid Oxfordshire, mid-april, in the middle of the day, flying at mid-height (c4-5m), it was mid-brown and medium sized (difficult for a non Batter, if that's what you call yourselves, but probably 150-200mm wingspan).

Over a pond by an old manor house in a large garden if that helps.

Any ideas?

GH

Attachments

• DSC01075.jpg
    DSC01075.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 145
The pond is less helpful for a midday bat because that is the most likely place for an insect concentration.

Its a great photo, they aren't the easiest of subjects. My money is on a Pipistrelle based mostly on the proportions, the look of the face and the fairly even match between topside and underside coloration.

Despite the pond, it looks more like a Common - very dark faced - but that's really pushing the ID further than it ought to go.

John

The pond is less helpful for a midday bat because that is the most likely place for an insect concentration.

Its a great photo, they aren't the easiest of subjects. My money is on a Pipistrelle based mostly on the proportions, the look of the face and the fairly even match between topside and underside coloration.

Despite the pond, it looks more like a Common - very dark faced - but that's really pushing the ID further than it ought to go.

John

Thanks John,
That was my hunch too, nice to have a second opinion.
Very lucky with the wife's point and shoot camera.

GH

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back