• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tenerife (1 Viewer)

suey said:
Any info on Tenerife for April?

There are at least three good birding guides to Tenerife - one specifically for the island and two for the Canaries in general.

Steve

suey said:
Any info on Tenerife for April?
Hi we returned from Las Americas last Tuesday, it was quite cool down there most abnormal. I got a few pictures of birds that were feeding on the rocks and in the rock pools.
Dunlin, Ring necked plover, Whimbrel, Turnstone, Reef Egret, Sandwich Tern and Sanderlings, 1 Yellow wagtail plus a Kestrel and many local green parakeets. I was most surprised to see the same species of wader that we see on the forshore locally in Lincolnshire..Wonder if they migrate with our birds to Greenland/Iceland ?. I only saw two Swallows in the two weeks I guess it was too cold for them...no flies to eat. I could hear the Chiffchaff and Whitethroats as usual in the trees singing. We did not take the trip to La Gomera but they said its good for birding.
Beware of the raw sewage coming back onto the beach in La Americas, you could see this on the rocks...thought you people would like to know that. I was shocked to see surfers and people walking about in the water un-aware of this. Our people would have closed the beach..discusting situation.

It should have warmed up by April, the locals were saying this has been their coldest winter on record.

Regards, Roy.

Last edited:
Hi Suey,
I went to Tenerife last May so I think I can offer some help
There are Canary Island Chiffchaffs, Spanish Sparrows and Blackcaps all over the urban areas
Try the dry desert type places for Bethelot's Pipit and Great-Grey Shrikes, you might also see a Trumpeter Finch here, but I didn't see one :C
There should be lots of Swifts, including Pallid Swifts
In the pine forests, if you are going up the mountain, look for Blue Chaffinches, African Blue tits, Canary Island Goldcrests, Laurel Pigeons and if you are lucky, Bolle's Laurel Pigeon

RoyH said:
Hi we returned from Las Americas last Tuesday, it was quite cool down there most abnormal. I got a few pictures of birds that were feeding on the rocks and in the rock pools.
Dunlin, Ring necked plover, Whimbrel, Turnstone, Reef Egret, Sandwich Tern and Sanderlings, 1 Yellow wagtail plus a Kestrel and many local green parakeets. I was most surprised to see the same species of wader that we see on the forshore locally in Lincolnshire..Wonder if they migrate with our birds to Greenland/Iceland ?. I only saw two Swallows in the two weeks I guess it was too cold for them...no flies to eat. I could hear the Chiffchaff and Whitethroats as usual in the trees singing. We did not take the trip to La Gomera but they said its good for birding.
Beware of the raw sewage coming back onto the beach in La Americas, you could see this on the rocks...thought you people would like to know that. I was shocked to see surfers and people walking about in the water un-aware of this. Our people would have closed the beach..discusting situation.

It should have warmed up by April, the locals were saying this has been their coldest winter on record.

Regards, Roy.

Many thanks Roy,
As for the beach situation I'm as disgusted as you,the last thing you want to see on the beach is your previous days breakfast!
regards, Suey

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back