• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New vortex razor hd 22 48x65 spotting scope (1 Viewer)

Hi Saurav,

I hadn't noticed the new Razors until I clicked on your link. These are clearly variants on a Kamakura design that has been around for at least 5 years. I have a discontinued 80mm Brunton ICON version. Other variants include the Kite KSP 80 HD and the new 85mm Zeiss Gavia. This is the first time I've noticed a 65mm version.

My Brunton ICON has good and bad points. I reviewed it here:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=297258

I also reviewed a very poor specimen of the old Vortex Razor here:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=218231

I noticed in the Q&A section on the Vortex site that the new Razors have variable speed focusers, like the Brunton ICON, which I've found to be a very nice feature. It's also possible that some optical improvements have been made to the newest versions of this design. The ICON certainly needed to have lower spherical aberration at close distances and an eyepiece with less lateral chromatic aberration.

Henry

I talked to Eagle Optics on the phone last week and asked where the newer version of the 22-48x Razor HD spotter was made .The person I talked to on the phone had to make a phone call, returned my call saying the new version was sourced from Japan, assembled in the USA. I also asked if my 18x LER eyepiece used on the previous 16x48 65mm Razor HD spotter (made in China) could be used on the newer version. They said no, the eyepiece design/ocular port was completely redesigned on the new version and the optional fixed eyepieces would not be compatible. I then asked if they were going to supply optional fixed eyepieces for the new version and they said currently no fixed eyepieces are available. Why spend the time/resources to redesign a scope to stay competitive and not include optional fixed eyepieces. Other than the re-designed focusing system why would one want to buy it ? The re-designed zoom does not appeal to me with the spec's having shorter eye relief than the previous version.

Last edited:
I talked to Eagle Optics on the phone last week and asked where the newer version of the 22-48x Razor HD spotter was made .The person I talked to on the phone had to make a phone call, returned my call saying the new version was sourced from Japan, assembled in the USA. I also asked if my 18x LER eyepiece used on the previous 16x48 65mm Razor HD spotter (made in China) could be used on the newer version. They said no, the eyepiece design/ocular port was completely redesigned on the new version and the optional fixed eyepieces would not be compatible. I then asked if they were going to supply optional fixed eyepieces for the new version and they said currently no fixed eyepieces are available. Why spend the time/resources to redesign a scope to stay competitive and not include optional fixed eyepieces. Other than the re-designed focusing system why would one want to buy it ? The re-designed zoom does not appeal to me with the spec's having shorter eye relief than the previous version.

Interesting, assembled in USA seems expensive.
The shorter eye relief is probably due to the fact that the AFOV is bigger.
And the zoom range will also decrease for the same reason.
The FOV might have increased a bit also.

Last edited:
Interesting, assembled in USA seems expensive.
The shorter eye relief is probably due to the fact that the AFOV is bigger.
And the zoom range will also decrease for the same reason.
The FOV might have increased a bit also.

I agree but the fact that I find zoom eyepieces very difficult /uncomfortable to use with my glasses this newer version would disappoint me. The rubber armor & the revised focusing is a plus. If the newer version provides just as clear/sharp view as the previous model most users without glasses I am sure would find Vortex's new line of spotters a great value for the money.

I wonder how this scope would compare to a Kowa TSN-664M? Would it be a significant improvement over the Vortex Viper?

Vortex has recently launched new razor series of scopes. Is it really an improved version?
Saurav

There's new glass:

We have kept the price on the new model the same as the old model, and we have given the new model better glass that improves resolution and low light capabilities. In addition to the better glass and helical focus, we also gave the new model a wider field of view.

Answered on 9/1/2016 by Mike at Vortex Optics from Vortex Optics

If I compare the Vortex 65MM scope with other scopes, it has the highest weight (56.8 oz) among all the scope in 65 mm category (across high/mid/lower range). Generally people settle for 65 mm scope over 80/85 mm because of weight (as every ounce in field counts). How do you justify the increase in weight for the new generation scope. Even the weight of Zeiss Gavia 85 mm scope is 59.96 oz. Would it be better to go for 85 mm scope if the incremental weight is only 3 oz.

Also I can see the scope has one of the shortest Eye relief.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back