• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus E-M1 MarkII: OH MY! (1 Viewer)

Sounds like "yes, the C-AF is better than with any previous M4/3 camera, but still not really at the level of a top DSLR, like the Canon 7DII or the Nikon D500".
I have not read the 7dii review in details, but the DPReview score for "AF and metering accuracy" was actually better for the Oly than for the Canon. Having read how much canon users complain about their own systems not always getting AF right, I am wondering if the inaccuracies mentioned in the oly review really is that far off the standard.

Niels

Niels

It can't only be me, that thinks that af tracking abilities of a camera demands great knowledge and time to aquire it - of the photog.

Most, if not all, reviewers may be very good knowing how to get the best of a Canikon af tracking system. But that knowledge does not extend that easy over to another format/camera system - and even so considering that many non-oly shooters complain about their "complicated" menu system...

When known Oly-shooters get their hands on a E-M1 mk2, and test it out (after awhile of familiarization) we'll know if it does what it claims, af tracking wise

Good points, Carlos. It takes a lot of practice and experimenting to learn how to get the most out of any system. That is why part of me would really like to focus on mastering only one system, or at least only one primary system for any one type of photography.

Dave

Last edited:
It can't only be me, that thinks that af tracking abilities of a camera demands great knowledge and time to aquire it - of the photog.

Most, if not all, reviewers may be very good knowing how to get the best of a Canikon af tracking system. But that knowledge does not extend that easy over to another format/camera system - and even so considering that many non-oly shooters complain about their "complicated" menu system...

When known Oly-shooters get their hands on a E-M1 mk2, and test it out (after awhile of familiarization) we'll know if it does what it claims, af tracking wise

When i first got my Panasonic GX8 my in flight shots where not good,i got a bit depressed then i thought you could do it whith a DSLR so just sort yourself out and do it with mirrorless,its like a lot of things a large percentage of achieving something is in your head,think you will not do it and the chances are you will not.

From what i could gather on a quick read he was using a f2.8 lens,to me that says nothing,when i first got my GX8 i used it with the 12-35 f2.8 on a car coming towards me between 20-30 mph,i took 14 shots and most where tack sharp and the others not bad.i cant see a f5.6 or f6.3 doing as good.

When I wrote weakness I was more thinking about a relatively short lens versus those lenses we mostly want to use. However, at least theoretically, the EM1-ii has the possibility of being better at C-AF than your GX8 - I am looking forward to when some real birder gets this camera in the hand.

Niels

There are quite a lot of reports of camera lock-ups with the E-M1 II, possibly due to card issues. I think Olympus need to sort this out quickly if it is to be considered seriously as a pro camera.

Ron

There are quite a lot of reports of camera lock-ups with the E-M1 II, possibly due to card issues. I think Olympus need to sort this out quickly if it is to be considered seriously as a pro camera.

Ron

Where are you seeing these reports? I'm not seeing anything worrisome on the DP Review forums or Amazon, just one on the rumors site, and that seems specific to certain Lexar cards.

Last edited:
The rumors site has a link to a writeup by a guy who went from Canon 1D4 to m4/3. He did some sport action with the new EM1-ii: http://www.pattayadays.com/2016/12/shooting-action-with-the-olympus-e-m1-ii/

Niels

Thanks. His conclusion here:

Conclusion
The E-M1 II is a camera that can reliably be used a sports/action camera, with immediate focus lock and a high keeper rate. Lenses such as the Olympus 40-150mm Pro, the Panasonic 100-400mm and in some cases the Olympus 300mm Pro are all viable lenses for sports use. Inertia and existing sports pro lens collections means it may not unseat established sports cameras such as the Canon 1DX, but it is illuminating to compare specs:
The Canon has 18 megapixels, the Olympus 20 megapixels. The Olympus wins for cropping ability.
The Canon is full frame, the Olympus M43. The Canon wins for IQ and low light.
The Canon does 12 fps RAW, the Olympus does 18fps. Big win for Olympus. (The Canon will do 14fps in JPEG using Live View on the rear screen; good luck with that…).
The Canon body is more than twice the price of the Olympus. Then there are the lens prices….
The Canon and a big lens needs a tripod for any extended use, I can carry the Olympus around all day with no problem.
Plus the new E-M1 does Pro Capture, high fps etc etc.
I know which camera I would rather own; which is fortunate, because I do!

Where are you seeing these reports? I'm not seeing anything worrisome on the DP Review forums or Amazon, just one on the rumors site, and that seems specific to certain Lexar cards.

Some reports on this thread on the 'Olympus System Talk UK' site. Seems to arise with some combination of memory card, which of the two card slots is in use and where the card was formatted.

I'm keeping an eye on this while saving hard for a MarkII, which I think might solve some of my problems achieving focus with my E-M10!

Brian

There seems to be an issue with the 128gb cards (Lexar in particular). Lexar is working on a firmware fix for their card.

Last edited:
Upon renting the EM-1 Mark II this year with the 40-150 f/2.8 and TC 1.4, I decided to buy. At first the menus almost made me violent, but after reading a PDF version of the manual on an international flight three times, given the C-AF and other capabilities detailed in this thread, this camera body along with certain lens combinations provides a premiere birding / nature system. I love the 40-150 f/2.8 combined w/the TC 1.4, it provides a stunning equivalent 112-420mm, and remarkably does it for under $2,000. Putting together a proper lens array will not cost the price of a new Honda Accord with this system. With similar enthusiasm I regard the potential of the 300mm f/4, but it is back ordered so I can only comment on that with anticipation.

So far B&H has sent me the body, the 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, and the 1.4 TC. A separately ordered 300mm f/4 remains backordered well in to March. With accessories I'll ultimately be in for around $7,000; or, the price of one 7.5 lbs. Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II.

Shoot what gives you the images you love!

Attachments

• 164994984.43mb4GYt.Barge22017.jpg
    164994984.43mb4GYt.Barge22017.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:

Often better?
I really don't see the point in comparing, it's apples and pears.
MFT has its strong point in video, portability, but MFT will never have the same bokeh or low light performance as FF cameras. Different tools with different strengths. Choose the one that fits your current needs.

60 FPS in RAW, wooww, that will be a lot of photos and GB to take care of...I would end up spending my time deleting bad photos rather than taking a few good ones...:-O

Last edited:
Often better?
I really don't see the point in comparing, it's apples and pears.
MFT has its strong point in video, portability, but MFT will never have the same bokeh or low light performance as FF cameras. Different tools with different strengths. Choose the one that fits your current needs.

60 FPS in RAW, wooww, that will be a lot of photos and GB to take care of...I would end up spending my time deleting bad photos rather than taking a few good ones...:-O

The truth ;)

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 191
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back