• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help Wanted Bar-tailed Godwit Spring Records (1 Viewer)

jimb

Hi,
I have been studying the migration passage of Bar-tailed Godwit along the south coast concerning the sub-species taymyrensis and with the first birds beginning to be reported I would love to hear from anyone who have any sightings of Bar-tails between April and the end of May. If you have any photos this would also be very helpful plus any details of ringed individuals. I am aware that there is an annual spring passage up the Severn so would be interested in any 2009 records (and if anyone has the time also pre-2009). I have produced a paper, jointly with Hampshire Bird Report editor Alan Cox, on "Barwit" migration and we are continuing to study this subject along with grounded individuals who stop off to feed up before continuing their journey north.
All records will be acknowledged.
Many thanks and good watching,
Jim

There were 6 in Saul Warth area on Mike Kings Website on Sunday 26th and 72 on the 25th of April in Saul . These are however in Gloucestershire

Also keep and eye on the WWT Slimbridge site, on the wildlife watching link. It has a list of migrating species on a near daily basis

Jim,

I have only just found your request

see http://www.severnsidebirds.co.uk/page133.html for some April Sightings

It would be worth checking out this/my website for previous years reports in April and May, some years we get hundreds each day moving through (see April 2007 with 450 in one day!)

best wishes

Paul

Last edited:
Many thanks for the update jfmgb777, much appreciated. I am presently collating the data from the spring passage which appears to have been in small numbers due to unfavourable weather conditions for sightings although good weather for the birds themselves !.

Paul,
Many thanks for your comments and the link - a great website now added to my favourites.
Thanks again,
Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back