• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fish ID or behavoiur help (1 Viewer)

NearlyNoviceBirder

View attachment 545116Saw this fish tail yesterday. Pic with the mallard included for scale. My impression was maybe 40-50 cm long. The fish was moving in large circles, with half of its tail out of the water most of the time and occasionally all of its tail. It ignored any ducks swimming past, who were curious but did not approach it. All I can make out from the pics is black tail, and grey body perhaps with black spots on it where the tail joins the body. Towards the end of the time I watched it for (about half an hour) I think there may have been two fish. So my working assumption is that it was possibly a spawning fish and perhaps a carp, but would really appreciate any guidance.

The weather was baking hot, the lake is freshwater, large, and gravel edged. Don't know the water depth but deep enough to support grebes.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• P1060805.JPG
    P1060805.JPG
    245.8 KB · Views: 73
  • P1060792.JPG
    P1060792.JPG
    256.9 KB · Views: 56
  • P1060782.JPG
    P1060782.JPG
    322.8 KB · Views: 81
  • P1060759.JPG
    P1060759.JPG
    298.4 KB · Views: 65
  • P1060807.JPG
    P1060807.JPG
    278.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Pike may perhaps be more of a contender than carp, maturing at about 3 years the females still occasionally carry spots and prefer shallower (warmer) water for spawning. But it could be anything, even an aquarium or garden pond release, such fish have been observed 'surface gliding' in their new found freedom.

The apparent large size and deeply forked tail suggest Common Carp to me, but not that familiar with UK fish.

Looks more like a Bream tail to me.

Phil

I had it narrowed down to either Common Carp or Bream! Having spent some time looking more closely at a Bream's tail both at the lakeside and on Google images I don't think this tail is slim enough for a Bream. Additionally Carp are well known for cruising around just under the surface whereas I've rarely witnessed this with Bream...that said, it could be either species but I favour Common Carp.

In fact after looking again at photo 3, I feel more confident that it is Carp as the notch would be far deeper on a Bream.

I'd say either Bream or Carp; both are possible from the pics. Bream will roll over bait when feeding, so will Carp. Both will roll when spawning too, and the time of year is within limits.

If I had to guess; I'd say Bream... or Carp ;)

I'd say Common Carp. Attached is a picture I took of a Common Carp displaying similar behavior while fishing a reservoir in Colorado; I found it was a Common Carp after catching one around two feet long (just over the size you estimated). They're beginning to take over native fish species here in the U.S. They tend to swim near the surface with their dorsal and tail fin exposed. Common Carp in my opinion.

Attachments

• DSCF0578.JPG
    DSCF0578.JPG
    516.8 KB · Views: 32
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back