• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new here (hummer feeder recommendations) (1 Viewer)

Bella66

Hi I am looking for a thread that shows pictures of hummingbird feeders not to buy. Do they all leak ?

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to BF. I have moved your thread to a more relevant forum where you will hopefully get a better response.
best regards,
Andy

Hi ya Bella! Welcome aboard :t:

The feeders I use are from Walmarts and I don't have a problem with them leaking until a squirrel or raccoon tries to land on it or climb up the pole.

I use Perky Pet hummingbird feeders (203CP I think), and although they don't leak, they will drip a bit when a larger bird such as an Oriole lands on it and tips it. No leaks with just the hummers.

First off, welcome to the forum -- a lot of bird knowledge is resident here.

All hummingbird feeders are going to drip a little bit, doesn't matter what type they are. I've used most types and I prefer the Hummzinger dish-type feeders but they will drip a bit when a larger bird like an oriole or woodpecker lands on it. Or the heat will cause expansion of the fluid after it is first filled -- for that reason, don't overfill.

So, I recommend placing the feeder (1) in the shade, if possible and (2) at least 5-6 feet away from your house, porch, patio, or wherever you hang out because the inevitable dripping will attract ants and other critters.

There are elaborate cages that you can buy/build that will surround your feeders and (theoretically) only allow the hummingbirds to drink -- never tried them.

Keep your feeders clean and refill them (at least) every other day if you have hot summers. (You can probably get by with refilling less often up there in Canada. But lets hope you attract so many hummers that you have to refill your feeders more often.)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back