• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Azores (1 Viewer)

This is a Blue Whale blow!

Attachments

• IMG_1176 (Large).jpg
    IMG_1176 (Large).jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1192 (Large).JPG
    IMG_1192 (Large).JPG
    301.6 KB · Views: 41
TWM,

My biggest ambition is to see a blue whale, but I've dipped 6 times so far!
Allen

Having recently returned from Sri Lanka, I can't imagine there is an easier place in the world to see Blue Whales than out of Mirissa. We were very much at the end of the season (mid April) and saw 22 Blues in three typically 4 hour long trips. The season is dictated by the sea state (Monsoon) rather than the presence of the whales. We also saw several pods of Long Beaked Spinner Dolphin, 1 Bryde's Whale and one Brydes/Sei that I haven't sorted out conclusively.

A researcher I spoke to on the first trip out claimed there were around 200-250 Blues off the southern part of the Island. On the last trip we had a group of 7 Blues around the boat. The next Whale Watch boat that we could easily see (about 10 minutes away) had another 8 around their boat at the same time. We also had a very distant Blue breaching, heavily cropped image below

Cheers
Martyn

Cheers
Martyn

Attachments

• Blue-Whale-breach-11.1.jpg
    Blue-Whale-breach-11.1.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Blue-Whale-82.1.jpg
    Blue-Whale-82.1.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Blue-Whale-71.1.jpg
    Blue-Whale-71.1.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Blue-Whale-60.1.jpg
    Blue-Whale-60.1.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Well done Stu. Aren't they impressive.

Indeed they are! Fin whale for comparison wasn't bad either, and I certainly won't complain about a few hundred Common Dolphin as well as a few Bottlenose! A good scatter of birds too, including Pacific Loon, Black Skimmer, Pink-footed Shearwater, and Caspian, Royal, Elegant, Forster's and Least Terns. There was also a rather lost Mourning Dove that took a few turns around the boat and a similarly misguided small blue passerine that showed too briefly for specific ID but which may have been a Lazuli Bunting. An excellent way to spend the morning if you should find yourself in San Diego!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back