• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lens advice for the now second string 350D camera. (1 Viewer)

senatore

As I have just bought a new 30D camera I intend to use my old 350D for landscapes,portraits,close ups etc. but need advice on at which lens to go for because as I understand it the 18-55 lens the camera came with is not supposed to be too good.

As I've just lashed out for the 30D funds are a little low so a Canon lens would be out.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Max

I'd give the 18-55 a serious go before giving up on it, Max - stopped down a bit maybe - because from what I've heard it isn't nearly as bad as some folk make out.

I'd give the 18-55 a serious go before giving up on it, Max - stopped down a bit maybe - because from what I've heard it isn't nearly as bad as some folk make out.

I totally agree, it is a massively underrated lens. It certainly works very well as a general snap shot lens, good for casual landscapes and portraits. I reckon it might well do the job you want it too... and trying for a while will give you time to save for a 17-40 f4 L!!!

As I have just bought a new 30D camera I intend to use my old 350D for landscapes,portraits,close ups etc. but need advice on at which lens to go for because as I understand it the 18-55 lens the camera came with is not supposed to be too good.

As I've just lashed out for the 30D funds are a little low so a Canon lens would be out.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Max

see discussion recently on sigma 17 - 70 f.2.8 think it is in the third party lens forum

Another suggestion is the 50mm f/1.8 II: silly-sharp (naturally - it's a prime! ;)) and cheap as chips.

If you can live with the focal length, it's a gem, optically.

although i did not like the kit lens ( to plastic ) it is said to be ok around f8-f11 i would give it a go if fund's are tight.
Rob.

I was in the same position as you Max when I got the 30D and I now use my 350D for landscapes with a 17-40 f4, IMO this is a cracking lens. I have just had six 18" x 12" landscape prints back from Photobox which were taken with the 17-40 and I am over the moon with the quality and detail.
I think the kits lens is underestimated and can produce some nice pics but it has its limitations.
I also have the 50 f1.8 but find it a bit long for Landscapes on a 1.6 crop body.

Last edited:
The 18-55 is a hopeless lens if you want bragging rights on forums less intelligent than this one. No good at all for impressing the ladies on Brighton Pier. But if you want to take pictures with it, it does the job just fine.

For landscapes, it's got a good range of focal lengths, and as you will be using it at around f/8 or f/11 most of the time, it produces results that really are very little different to much more expensive units. Plus, as you will be lugging two cameras around now, the small size and super light weight are a real bonus.

Try to avoid using it wide open, and at the extremes of the focal range: it has nasty barrel distortion at 18mm and isn't great at 55. But don't rush out and replace it until after[/] you have the other lenses you need:

* A wide angle is a must, both for landscapes and for all sorts of other things. The Cannon 10-22 is superb if expensive, and there are several 3rd party lenses in this range that get excellent reports.

* A portrait lens is good to have. Best choice might be the Canon EF-S 60mm macro f/2.8; an excellent portrait and landscape lens, with the added bonus of real macro ability. Alternatively, the 50mm f/1.8 costs practically nothing and works very well. (I have both, although I seldom use the 50 because the 60 macro is so sweet and the slightly longer focal length suits me.)

* You may wish to have something in the medium telephoto class, a 70-200 or a 50-150. I don't use those lengths much, so between the 60 macro and my 100-400, I don't need anything else, but your mileage may vary.

Only after you have covered those other needs is an 18-55 replacement worth considering.

I too have the 17-40 f4 and it really is a superb lens. Bought mine from the US about two years ago and I am still quids in !

Thank you all for the advice.

Seeing other people's pics using this lens has persuaded me to gve it a good go before making a move on buying another lens.

I must confess my earlier misgivings were based on comments by other photographers and not on my own experience.I think that this thread is the first time I've seen this lens not trashed.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Max.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back