• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Big Bend in December (1 Viewer)

JeffMoh

My wife and I are heading to Big Bend in mid-December. We're spending two nights in Marathon, then 3 in Big Bend, then one more in Marathon.

Anyone been birding there in December? If so, any tips?

Jeff

Email this ole gal, she lives next to Big Bend and knows every inch of it better than anyone else: carolynohl AT AOL.COM

She hangs out on TEXBIRDS

Jaeger near Chicago (misplaced Texan)

Jeff: Checking the Christmas Bird Count data (there are two BBNP counts) should help you to identify the species present at that time, as well as their abundance.

Also, The Birds of the Trans-pecos book by Mark Lockwood and Jim Paton will help. I believe that ABA Sales carries that particular release.

Big Bend is great any time, but winter brings a few species that don't breed in TX (Brewer's Sparrow, Sage Thrasher, possible Baird's Sparrow near Marfa, etc.). It should be a great trip. Enjoy.

Thanks

Hi, Steve.

I forgot to thank you before our trip for the advice.

We had a great time and saw a lot of good birds. Unfortunately, sites near the river were partly inaccessible because of recent floods. Higher sites, such as Chisos Basin and Sam Nail, were excellent.

The Post county park at Marathon was excellent, too. If anyone intends to stay nearby, I'd recommend the Marathon Hotel and RV Park. Very comfortable.

I put photos on my blog: www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back