• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Settings for 580EX II (total newbie with flash!) (1 Viewer)

gatafrancesca

Hi! I am a happy girl now as I just received a brand new Canon 580EX II flash for the price of a 580EX!
Anyway, I have read many posts on BF and other websites about the use of flash in bird photography, but still don't understand very much.
Could you please help me with proper settings??
My current equipment: Canon 350D and 400mm f5.6. BUT...I am even happier as I am waiting for a 30D to be delivered. Does this make any difference? I plan to use spot metering instead of evaluative with that camera. A better beamer is on it's way too, I just have the flash for now and plan to go to my backyard for a few tests.
I'd specially like to understand two things:
- proper settings for using fill flash in general conditions (to properly expose a backlit subject or help eliminate shadows on the bird)
- Proper settings for photography under canopy forest (very dark), such as cloud forest or rain forest.
What would be the main differences?
Thank you so much for your help!
Cheers
:hi:

Sorry you haven't had any responses yet, I'm contemplating buying a flash for the exact same reason as you mentioned, so would also love to hear of any tips and tricks. Anybody?

Clarke, I think I will open a new thread, asking for tips for flash photography in general. Maybe people aren't responding as my flash unit is a new model. I hope I can get some answers, I think it's a pretty interesting theme. I will put my thread under the Canon section this time, let's see if I'm more lucky!

When using flash for birds, I suggest as a starting point you set your camera to P mode (or M) to expose for the flash as the main light. Av and Tv expose for the ambient light, so you may end up with too-slow shutter speeds in low light conditions. P, Av and Tv modes are all good for fill flash in good light. I turn my flash down a little as when shooting something so small in the frame as a bird, and because Canon gear tends to overdo the flash for my taste.

If you want the view of an expert, you might try Art Morris' PDF book Art of Bird Photography II.

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/ has lots of useful stuff on it.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back