• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hen Harrier and Marsh Harrier (1 Viewer)

Redkiteavoca

3D Artist and aspiring Bird Photographer
Hi everyone, my name is David and I'm from Ireland, I am new to the forum and really want to find out about something that has me in deep thought! :)
What is the main difference between a Marsh Harrier and a Hen Harrier? Thank you in advance for any replies B :)

All harriers hunt in a similar way David, I suppose, in that they float on v-shaped wings low over the terrain they hunt over. In winter both tend to hunt over coastal estuaries, marsh harriers moreso over reedbeds.

Hen Harriers breed over moorland, often over grouse moors where they are persecuted.

Marsh Harriers are the heaviest and bulkiest.

Plumage wise they are different. Male Hen Harriers are generally grey, black and white - beautiful birds, whilst females and juveniles are generally brown birds with streaky underparts and an obvious white rump.

Female and juvenile Marsh Harriers are usually all-brown but usually with a pale crown, often yellowish in juveniles. Male Marsh Harriers are tri-coloured black, white and brown.

Have a look at some YouTube clips of each species.

I love harriers, stunning birds, also Montagu's Harrier and Pallid Harriers though they are rare on our isles (UK and Ireland)

Hi David and a warm welcome from me too.

You could also have a look at The Opus articles - this one is for the Hen Harrier and there is a link on it to the Marsh Harrier.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Thank you wolfbirder for that detailed answer it is really nice of you to take the time to explain this to me, I appreciate all the replies and welcomes from everyone! :) thank you so much and I'm sure I'll enjoy this place

Thank you wolfbirder for that detailed answer it is really nice of you to take the time to explain this to me, I appreciate all the replies and welcomes from everyone! :) thank you so much and I'm sure I'll enjoy this place

No problem at all David.

I love harriers , Infact the male Hen Harrier is my favourite bird along with male Montagu’s and male Pallid Harrier.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back