• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vanguard Endeavour ED IV? (1 Viewer)

I gave a call to Vanguard USA to get a general idea of the differences between the current ED II and the upcoming ED IV.

- It will have improved prism glass (as mentioned above).
- Styling changes (as seen in the Eagle Optics listing).
- Diopter adjustment incorporated in the focus knob (similar to Swaro and Nikon EDG).
- Improved light transmission and CA control.

He said they currently expect them to be available here in the US around late fall. The current Endeavor ED and ED II models will continue in the lineup but at lower price points than the ED IV.

Thanks for the update!

Chuck .... You are welcome.

.......... I did hear the EDIV does not have dielectric prism coatings,....................David

Price increase round 300,00 euro and diëlectric coatings.

So one contact indicates no dielectric coatings and another indicates it will have dielectric coatings. We shall remain in suspense!

Personally, I hope the ED IV will have dielectric coatings. It may give it a more neutral color balance and some more contrast as compared to current models. It also seems to be expected now for models $400 and above.

So one contact indicates no dielectric coatings and another indicates it will have dielectric coatings. We shall remain in suspense!

Personally, I hope the ED IV will have dielectric coatings. It may give it a more neutral color balance and some more contrast as compared to current models. It also seems to be expected now for models $400 and above.

I learned last Birdfair that Vanguard were using a new designer for the ED IV, but I thought the prototype they showed me was pretty poor, and spelled out the issues I saw to the European manager at the time. It not only needed dielectric coatings but a substantial reworking as well in my opinion. I'm sure others offered similar views but I don't know if that message got back to Taiwan.

All the office could tell me back in March was that shipping had started and that it still didn't have dielectric. They promised to pass on my other comments to R&D. I then heard in the middle of April it had been recalled. I don't imagine for a second it was anything to do with me. Presumably more than one person wasn't happy with what they'd been sent.

I've not heard anything from the UK office yet but I'm sure Jan's info is good. I just hope they've done a whole lot more than change the prism coatings.

David

I learned last Birdfair that Vanguard were using a new designer for the ED IV, but I thought the prototype they showed me was pretty poor, and spelled out the issues I saw to the European manager at the time. It not only needed dielectric coatings but a substantial reworking as well in my opinion. I'm sure others offered similar views but I don't know if that message got back to Taiwan.

All the office could tell me back in March was that shipping had started and that it still didn't have dielectric. They promised to pass on my other comments to R&D. I then heard in the middle of April it had been recalled. I don't imagine for a second it was anything to do with me. Presumably more than one person wasn't happy with what they'd been sent.

I've not heard anything from the UK office yet but I'm sure Jan's info is good. I just hope they've done a whole lot more than change the prism coatings.

David

Correct, they've raised the price also;)

How many binocular designers are there in the world?
Also how many in each continent?

Are binocular designers originally lens designers?
Are they all 40 year plus age?

There are probably several hundred binocular designers worldwide.
Usually after training and working on lens design and general optics.
Probably eyepiece design is most challenging.

Optics is experiencing a flourish at the moment.

Camera Centre UK has the new Vanguard ED IV listed on eBay for $500 USD

"THE BEST BINOCULAR THAT VANGUARD HAS EVER PRODUCED." ENDEAVOR ED IV

Enhance your viewing experience with the best Endeavor ED binocular series that Vanguard has ever produced. The innovative pairing of Premium HOYA ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass and SK-15 Prisms allow master birders and outdoorsman to experience nature in a totally new dimension.

Last edited:
Camera Centre UK has the new Vanguard ED IV listed on eBay for $500 USD

"THE BEST BINOCULAR THAT VANGUARD HAS EVER PRODUCED." ENDEAVOR ED IV

Enhance your viewing experience with the best Endeavor ED binocular series that Vanguard has ever produced. The innovative pairing of Premium HOYA ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass and SK-15 Prisms allow master birders and outdoorsman to experience nature in a totally new dimension.

Looks like the Tract Toric has some stiff competition.

3. KILLER DEAL: Vanguard Endeavor ED IV
Score: 86.3 • $499 • vanguardworld.us • Specs: 8x42 • 5.8x5" • 28.8 oz. • 19mm eye relief • 5.25mm exit pupil • 377' FOV • 5.9' close focus

Lowdown: This was a surprise. Priced on the bubble between the mid and low range, there was no reason for us to think the Endeavor ED IV would hang with models costing $300 to $500 more. But it did—and in many of the categories that matter most to hunters, including resolution, image quality, and low-light performance. The Endeavor pulled fine detail from both sun and shade, and delivered a clean, immersive picture. Another open-bridge model with a soft rubber coating, it too feels good in the hand. The focus wheel is big and smooth, and the diopter adjustment locks. The Endeavor did fall slightly behind the other top contenders for design and build and finished in the middle of the pack for weather resistance, but at this price, it’s a versatile, quality hunting tool and a standout value.

http://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/2016/10/24/10-binoculars-ranked-and-rated.html

I ordered one from Feathers Optics sunday and it arrived in the Netherlands yesterday, great service.

I had compared a few different bins before. I really liked the Eden XP 8x42 for its brightness and sharpness, but not its build quality, so I went for a more sturdy one. At the end the Zeiss Terra 8x42 or Vanguard Endeavor EDII 8x42 where the remaining ones. What I really liked about the Vanguard was its amazing sharpness right to the edges in comparison with other bins in the same or higher price class, the magnesium, very solid build and its open bridge design for a better grip. Both the Zeiss and Vanguard have fast focus wheels (1 turn for the Zeiss, 3/4 of a turn for the Vanguard) which I really like for following little birds going through trees and bushes. I sometimes found the Vanguard a little bit too fast (or maybe the depth of view is too narrow), making it sometimes a bit harder to focus exactly to the milimeter, giving sometimes a tad sharper impression with the Zeiss, but maybe the Vanguard focus wheel is just something you have to learn and get used too. Other than that, there weren't explicit advantages on the Zeiss, although the Vanguard doesn't have dielectric coatings, so room for improvement there.

That's when I heard about the Vanguard Endeavor IV being almost released. This one did have dielectric coatings, would be priced higher and considered more of a higher class then being the successor of the EDII and I found out that the EDIV was cheaper in the UK than the EDII was in the Netherlands. So it looked like a no-brainer and I ordered it.

I really have to check it out some more outside in daylight, because yesterday it was already dark and I could only test it inside. What was a disappointment is that its focus wheel is much slower now, needing almost 1.5 turn between both ends. The wheel also feels a bit too stiff, but maybe it will loosen up after using it for a while. The focus wheel is nice and big and the whole bin is very well designed, although being a bit heavy. But you really get the feel of a high quality product, being able to withstand rough weather and a bump or 2.

I checked it a little bit yesterday inside and while comparing it with the Eden XP I got the same feeling from when I compared the EDII with the Zeiss, even though the focus wheel of the Vanguard IV is much slower. I was turning the focus wheel more back and forward to find the sweetspot of the sharpness, the Eden felt spot on faster an seemed a little bit sharper because of it. But I have to test it more to really make a judgment about this. Maybe the depth of view is very narrow with the Vanguard which makes it harder to really get the focus point at the right milimeter or maybe it's just a thing of personal taste, leading into experiencing a better control with one focuswheel than the other.

DutchSparrow,

Thanks for the comments so far. I'd be interested in what you make of it in further comparisons.

I rather like the fast focus of the EDII as well, but I understand it isn't to everyone's taste, so I'd guess it's a deliberate design change. In strictly optical terms, the depth of field will be identical for all 8x binoculars, but there may be perceptive differences with field curvature etc.. It's a long time since I tried the Eden XP 8x42. I know at the time I found a small problem with effective resolution at certain light levels. The Terras have appeared a little variable to me as well. It might be something to look out for in your comparisons. The EDIV should be brighter (higher luminosity) than the EDII, XP and Terra, but sometimes the colour balance can lead to different opinions of the relative 'brightness'. I'd be interested in what you make of that.

Thanks,

David

Last edited:
I couldn't get used to its focusing mechanism, being slower than the EDII and Terra. I went back to the store where I compared that EDII and Terra and other binoculars. I compared those again and I had the same feeling I had the first time, which I also had when I compared the ED IV to the Eden XP. Focusing is not very precise, i keep turning the focussing wheel back and forward, searching for that sweet spot of sharpness. When sharp it is a very very good product, but with the Zeiss Terra, a very good product as well, I get the image sharp quick. It performs much better in that aspect, and that's why I bought that one, even though I find the view of the ED II and IV better with its very good edge sharpness.

I didn't compare the EDIV at the same time as the EDII and Terra, but i didn't found it brighter than the Eden XP and I found the Terra not brighter than the EDII, differences in this aspect are very small.

Last edited:
Thank you for the additional comments. 1.5 turns may not be your preference, but it shouldn't be the cause of the focussing difficulty you describe. Was there some free play, a dead spot where you turn and nothing happens? Unfortunately that isn't as rare as it should be.

David

That's true, I had the focussing problem with both vanguards and one has 0,75 turn and the other 1.5. 1.5 is too slow for me, but that is another downside with those binoculars for me.

I don't know what causes it, but the Zeiss didn't have it, so, combined with the rest of its quality, that was enough for me to pick the Zeiss.

This is the first "sort of" review of the EDIV I have seen

http://www.onestopnature.co.uk/Opti...Reviews/Vanguard/Vanguard-Endeavor-ED-IV-8x42

I highlight this quote

"The ED IV features sharp optics right across the field of view. It certainly compares favourably with other binoculars at this price point but it is also noticably brighter and a shade sharper than the ED II which this binocular replaces. "

Are there any other reviews of substance out there!

At the end of September I was told a review sample was about to be shipped to me, but it never arrived and I wasn't given a reason. I don't know if it was the same for the others on their list? Someone might have to buy one.:eek!:

David

Last edited:
EDIV -- I've got one here!

At the end of September I was told a review sample was about to be shipped to me, but it never arrived and I wasn't given a reason. I don't know if it was the same for the others on their list? Someone might have to buy one.:eek!:

David

I've had a pair of 10x42 Endeavor EDIV for review on the Ireland's Wildlife site since October, and whatever the foibles reported here with initial samples, it looks like Vanguard got a lot right with the production model.

The ergonomics are superb and optically they're a definite step up from the already impressive EDII. Bright, sharp image right across a pleasingly wide and immersive field of view. Very good low light performance... which must be down to the new SK15 prisms, because I asked about dielectric coatings and the head of Vanguard UK stated categorically that there are " No dielectric coatings on any of our prism systems… yet".

They do perform very well in low light -- and although they fall short of my 10x42 Swaros in terms of brightness as the light fades, they continue to deliver plenty of detail and good colour and contrast. The focus is a bit stiffer than it's predecessors, but not uncomfortably so, and for me the 1.5 turn focusing mechanism is an improvement. I found it easy to overshoot focus with both the ED and EDII -- not so with the EDIV.

Everything just feels like an improvement. It feels as if Vanguard has been listening to its end users / reviewers here, making lots of little changes. Seemingly insignificant things... like losing the clip system on the neckstrap (does any birder really use those?), so that now you can actually shorten the strap so the bins sit on your chest, not around your waist... and adding hydrophobic coatings on the external lens surfaces... add up to deliver a much more satisfying all-round user experience.

I'm still not about to trade my Swaros in for a pair of EDIV -- but I can genuinely say that this is the first Vanguard binocular I'd seriously consider as a contender if I was in the market.

I'll be posting a full review to the Ireland's Wildlife site soon, and have a competition running until midnight on Thursday to win a brand new pair direct from Vanguard in time for Christmas.

I'm not going to post the link to the forum, but you'll be able to find it if you want to.

Cheers,

Calvin!

Calvin,

Your comments certainly whet my optical appetite but your review is not yet up, so I will wait to read it.

Have you reviewed the Nikon monarch HG which, at about twice the cost, should be significantly better, but I wonder if it is - is one in your review pipeline?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back