• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from NorthEast LA - Mom w/ Birder Kids (1 Viewer)

Outdoorsyfamily

Hi all,
My kids (ages 7 & 8) have recently become obsessed with birds. I'd love advice for expanding their birding knowledge. We are absolute beginners. We have recently had some nice sightings while canoeing Castaic lake...would love to join others wherever the hotspots are.

It's great to start young. First, you're going to need some proper equipment. Since kids will be kids, you shouldn't spend too much on binoculars. My first nice pair were the Eagle Optics Shrike 8x42 if you want to give them something to share, and a cheaper option would be for both of them the would be the Bushnell PermaFocus. Next, you will need a field guide. Sibley's makes a good beginner's guide, and can be found for the West Coast or North America. If you ever have trouble finding a place to bird, use eBird. I'm sure your kids will pick it up fast, but eBird is social media for birders at its simplest. Here, you can find places to go, record your life, year, and month list for counties, states, nations, or the world. You can find hotspots and see what people have submitted. You can find photos, audio, and other media that other users have contributed. However, birding on your own is not the best way for beginners, a field guide and never supplement the words of another birder.
Los Angeles Audubon offers walks, one for youths toured today. Good luck birding!

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to BF from all the staff here, we hope you enjoy the site.
Feel free to join in where ever you fancy.
As Aiden has said, identifying the birds will be the main (favourite) challenge....so a good bird i.d. field guide for your area will be vital.

best regards,
Andy

Hi Outdoorsyfamily and a warm welcome from me too.

You're in for an exciting journey with your children. Please let us know how you all get on.

Hello and welcome to the forum. This could be a hobby they will have for a lifetime. How great of you to want to encourage them. AidenD gave some great advice.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from the east coast :t:

I agree totally with the advice Aiden has given and the kids and you couldn't find a better obsession than birding ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back