• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Herzliya based without Car - birding report (1 Viewer)

Kibet

I was in business in Israel and was based last weekend in Herzliya (north of Tel Aviv), and with no car was a bit restricted on sites I could visit.

One of the customers I was with suggested the fish ponds of Ma'agan Mikha-el (maagan michael) and that it was easy to get to with public transport. I used the train, which was 40 minutes (herzliya/hersliyya train station to Binyamina). I also used taxis either side, and even though the taxi driver never spoke english of the fish pond side, they knew where to pick me up as they dropped me off there). Total cost of trip was 250 shekels (50 on train, 200 with 4 taxis). Both stations are in walking distance for location (5 km), so could be done for less.

Highlights: At the ponds, I was greeted by Glossy Ibis, Armenian Gulls, Herons (grey, squacco, black-crowned night heron and little egrets). Walking along the fish ponds, I saw three types of Kingfisher, Common, White throated and Pied. Very easy to see these and got many pictures of them sitting obligingly on the wires. Another nice little bird around the scrub was the Graceful Prinia/warbler, and you can really see it desrving of the name when it dances along a fence. (two more warblers needed to identify yet). On the Waders, Spur winged lapwing were around, as well as Turnstone (not sure if common or ruddy) and a few more that are still on the to identify list. For 3.5 hours at site, I would estimate 25-30 species seen.

As this was a Friday, I had to make sure I left by 1700 (train stops for shabbat). On Saturday, with no public transport, I visited one of the local gardens (Vreisland garden), where the common Israeli birds could be seen. Palestine sunbird, Hoopoe, White spectacled (yellow vented) Bulbul, Hooded Crow, and also Myna and Roseringed Parakeet kicking about too. Another Warbler, I still need to identify too.

In short, trains are quite good if you have no transport, and even out of the main migration, the fish ponds are worth a visit. The biggest restriction you face is the lack of transport on Shabbat (although taxis will still be operating).

I am also back in October and will be looking to probably get up to the Hula Valley.

Also, a side note, at airport I insisted they scan my lens and bins separately so they did not bash the bag. They found this strange, and scrutinised the lens and bins with several scans. In the end though, they came through undamaged and no dust on the internal optics. (I had witnessed them separating camera from lens of someone else, and putting them through with internal parts exposed, before me. So separate and cover lenses and camera beforehand, would be my recommendation.)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back