• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Big 50..... (1 Viewer)

LSB

Me
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Have just got my 50th garden tick today so here's my list to date. Includes flyovers..

1/ House sparrow
2/ Blackbird
3/ song Thrush
4/ Greenfinch
5/ Collared Dove
6/ Herring Gull
7/ Common Gull
8/ Common Swift
9/ Dunnock/Hedge Accentor
10/ Common Starling
11/ Feral Pigeon
12/ Carrion Crow
13/ Jackdaw
14/ Robin
15/ Great Cormorant
16/ Magpie
17/ European Sparrowhawk
18/ Black Headed Gull
19/ Chaffinch
20/ European Goldfinch
21/ Wood Pigeon
22/ Rook
23/ Blue Tit
24/ Kittiwake
25/ Stock Dove
26/ Lesser Black-Backed Gull
27/ Redwing
28/ Great Tit
29/ Great Black-Backed Gull
30/ Common Kestrel
31/ Mistle Thrush
32/ Wren
33/ House Martin
34/ Barn Swallow
35/ Pied Wagtail
36/ Sand Martin
37/ Grey Lag Goose
38/ Pink Footed Goose (get both geese sp most Autumns)
39/ Mute Swan
40/ Mallard
41/ Coal Tit
42/ Fieldfare
43/ Gannet
44/ Curlew
45/ Greenshank (2 recorded flyovers)
46/ Grey Heron
47/ Whimbrel
48/ Chiffchaff
49/ Waxwing
50/ Long Tailed Tit (2 feeding on peanuts today)

List is in order of sightings.. :O)

That's a seriously goods garden list there! Can't remember my exact total for the North Shields garden but I don't think it was more than 12 or so!
And up here in Northumberland I'd say my list stands at about 36...I count birds on the feeders, in the front garden and flying over.

Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit, Song Thrush,Goldcrest,Robin,Chaffinch,Dunnock,Treecreeper,Goldfinch,House Sparrow,Starling,Wood Pigeon,Greenfinch,Yellowhammer,Rook,Carrion Crow,Jackdaw,Blackbird,Buzzard,Kestrel,Great Spotted Woodpecker,Long-tailed Tit,Wren,Feral Pigeon,Herring Gull,Common Gull,BHG,GBBG,Magpie,House Martin,Barn Swallow,Swift,Greylag Goose,Fieldfare & Willow Warbler.

Think that's the lot...without getting out of my comfortable seat in front of a roaring fire to get my birding diary out of the *freezing cold* bedroom! LOL ;)

GILL

Last edited:
Gill Osborne said:
That's a seriously goods garden list there! Can't remember my exact total for the North Shields garden but I don't think it was more than 12 or so!
And up here in Northumberland I'd say my list stands at about 36...I count birds on the feeders, in the front garden and flying over.

Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit, Song Thrush,Goldcrest,Robin,Chaffinch,Dunnock,Treecreeper,Goldfinch,House Sparrow,Starling,Wood Pigeon,Greenfinch,Yellowhammer,Rook,Carrion Crow,Jackdaw,Blackbird,Buzzard,Kestrel,Great Spotted Woodpecker,Long-tailed Tit,Wren,Feral Pigeon,Herring Gull,Common Gull,BHG,GBBG,Magpie,House Martin,Barn Swallow,Swift,Greylag Goose,Fieldfare & Willow Warbler.

Think that's the lot...without getting out of my comfortable seat in front of a roaring fire to get my birding diary out of the *freezing cold* bedroom! LOL ;)

GILL

There's a few on there I need fancy a bit of a swap...Nice list

Ok...if you stay in our spare bedroom overnight does that count as 'your garden' LOL and can go on your list? Or we'll swop houses for a day or so...you must live near the coast to get some of the birds you do.
I actually didn't realise just how many birds I have got on my list...certainly a LOT better than when I lived in North Shields!!! It took me two YEARS to see my first Chaffinch!!!

GILL

An impressive list indeed! I'm only at 30, but I have never counted birds that fly overhead, only those that actually land in the garden.

Hmm...maybe I should?

Gill Osborne said:
Ok...if you stay in our spare bedroom overnight does that count as 'your garden' LOL and can go on your list? Or we'll swop houses for a day or so...you must live near the coast to get some of the birds you do.
I actually didn't realise just how many birds I have got on my list...certainly a LOT better than when I lived in North Shields!!! It took me two YEARS to see my first Chaffinch!!!

GILL

Yeah I can see the sea from my front window (just) better from upstairs but dont wanna take the risk of being seen (Pervert I can hear the cries already)
I used to live in North shields myself 10 yr ago and Goldfinch was about my best then..:O)

helenol said:
An impressive list indeed! I'm only at 30, but I have never counted birds that fly overhead, only those that actually land in the garden.

Hmm...maybe I should?

You would'nt go Birding and just count the ones that land. I use the same rules as I do for my Local Patch. Anything viewed from it...

littlestintboy said:
You would'nt go Birding and just count the ones that land. I use the same rules as I do for my Local Patch. Anything viewed from it...
That's clinched it for me! :t:
Whayhey!!

LOL All of a sudden Helen's Garden List has shot up in total!

I know what you mean about folk thinking you could be a pervert....I hate it when I see a bird perched on top of a roof as I feel SO conspicuous pointing my bins in that direction! Haven't been stopped YET but still feel uncomfortable...and I'm a GIRL!!! It must be worse for you guys!!!

GILL

Gill Osborne said:
LOL All of a sudden Helen's Garden List has shot up in total!

I know what you mean about folk thinking you could be a pervert....I hate it when I see a bird perched on top of a roof as I feel SO conspicuous pointing my bins in that direction! Haven't been stopped YET but still feel uncomfortable...and I'm a GIRL!!! It must be worse for you guys!!!

GILL

you've got no idea how much stick we guys do get....Ive had a gang of kids giving grief to an old age Pensioner telling me Im sad!!! Not to mentioned being called a Seaweed spotter when seawatching...knightmare

my work (7 acre garden) list got to 99 today with a small flock of Golden Plover flying over o:)

been running for 12 yrs so dont get new birds that often, fingers crossed the spring migration might make it 100 :)

Richard W said:
my work (7 acre garden) list got to 99 today with a small flock of Golden Plover flying over o:)

been running for 12 yrs so dont get new birds that often, fingers crossed the spring migration might make it 100 :)

Here's hoping you get to the big 100.. I dont watch mine as much as id like..been going since 1998..

I saw a Goshawk when I was about half a mile from my house but it flew past a pylon which is easily viewable from my garden so obviously the Goshawk was also easily viewable from my garden even though I wasn't there to easily view it so can I count it?Pleeeease!
Phil

1Robin
2house sparrow
3dunnock
4blackbird
5song thrush
6mistle thrush
7blackcap
8linnet
9reed bunting
10heron
11gold finch
12greenfinch
13chaffinch
14moorhen
15duck (mallard)
16 red legged partridge
17 field fare
18 red wing
19 siskin
20 gold crest
21blue tit
22 great tit
23 coal tit
24 long tailed tit
25 sparrowhawk
26 magpie
27 collar dove
28 wood pigeon
29 budgie
30 starling
31 rook
32 jackdaw
33 pheasant
34 wren
35 feral pigeon
plus flying over
36 kestrel
37 peregrine
38 sea gull (sorry everyone!)
39 swallow
40 owl of some sort
41 skylark
42 geese

Course you can Frecklezgecko! As Littlestintboy said, why make the rules of what is and what is not allowed on your list any different from a normal days birding?

I need to add Sparrowhawk to that list of mine...I have both a male and a female occasionally frequenting the hedge alongside my feeders...though they haven't caught anything yet - or not when I've been looking anyway! Can't believe I forgot to put them on! :h?:

GILL

Living next to the sea is just the best.
We look across the Pentland firth towards Hoy (Orkney). My House list stands at 77 birds.(Birds that I have seen from my house). Today we saw the following out our front window

1.Long tailed duck
2.Goldeneye
3.Red throated diver
4.Eider
5.Redshank
6.Turnstone
7.Ringed plover
8.Curlew
9.Oystercatcher
10.Common gull
11.Herring gull
12.Black headed gull
13.Great black backed gull
14.Iceland gull
15.Fulmar
16.Shag
17.Cormorant
18.Black guillemot (winter plumage & summer plumage)
19.Guillemot
20.Carrion crow
21.Red breasted meganser
22.Great northern diver
23.Rock dove

and the back garden
24.Robin
25.Blackbird
26.House sparrow
27.Dunnock
28.Blue tit
30.Goldfinch
31.Chaffinch
32.Greenfinch
33.Collared dove
34.Song thrush

And you also get whales, dolphins and porposes in the summer, our neighbour even saw a basking shark last summer.

OK Kas...you win! Some amazing birds there....and dolphins & whales WOW!!! And I would LOVE to see a Basking Shark! The thought of them on a regular basis could, perhaps, tempt me to live somewhere other than wonderful Northumberland! Possibly! LOL

GILL

I never saw the shark, and you will see birds every day that I would love to see. Do you know I have only seen a Magpie once and would love to see birds like Jay and Nuthatch, but with young family holidays are orientated aroud the kids not birdwatching, but one day I'm sure I'll get south to see them.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back