• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ankeny National Wildlife Refuge (1 Viewer)

OregonJunco

On July 3, I visited a central Oregon wetland at Ankeny National Wildlife Refuge. I walked a boardwalk trail above a muddy Alder marsh and saw the following birds.

List of birds in order of taxonomy:

great blue heron (1)
turkey vulture
Canada goose
mallard
California quail
American coot
killdeer
spotted sandpiper (2)
common snipe (life)
willow flycatcher
American crow
northern rough-winged swallow (life)
cliff swallow (3)
barn swallow
Swainson's thrush
American robin
cedar waxwing
song sparrow
black-headed grosbeak
red-winged blackbird
brown-headed cowbird
American goldfinch

Total Species: 22

(1) I watched a great blue heron on a log catch a huge bullfrog. The
frog was larger than its bill and head combined. It had the frog across the
top of the chest. The frog kicked and struggled and the heron kept
dipping it back in the water. Finally, the heron flew off with it.
(2) A spotted sandpiper sat perched atop a gate post. I questioned my identification at first, because I didn't think a sandpiper would perch like that, but its spotted breast, bobbing tail, and white wing patterns in flight were distinctive. It sat there for several minutes, flew around, landed in the mud, and returned. It let me get quite close, and was very vocal. At one point it was joined in flight by another spotted sandpiper. I wonder if it had a nest nearby.
3) Inside a blind at the end of a shorter boardwalk was a cliff swallow
nest with three babies. As I watched, two adults flew in and out of the open
windows with food, each time causing the nestlings to become quite vocal and open their mouths wide. The swallows seemed oblivious to my presence, and let me watch them for quite some time.

What a great afternoon!
Diane

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back