• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New guy with new setup and a few questions (1 Viewer)

yakyakgoose

I finally bought myself a spotting scope and had a few questions. I will actually be using the scope more for wildlife watching in general than specifically birds (although I do want to see what all the fuss is about :t: ) and hopefully finding out if I like wildlife photography enough to get a full DSLR setup. I noticed through browsing around that the birding community seems to know the most about optics by far. Anyways, I had a few questions:

1. I purchased a factory second Nikon Fieldscope IIIED 60mm with the 20x-60x eyepiece for $800 including tax. Was this a good price for this? I know it was discontinued but the reviews seemed like its a heck of a scope.

2. Is this scope good enough for digiscoping? I did a search on the forum and found some examples that I wasnt really impressed with, but I did find a flicker account that had what seemed like some really good pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/revs45/sets/72157594225904531/

3. Does looking through your scope from inside through a window greatly reduce clarity? Sometimes it seems when I look through the scope it looks amazingly sharp and then other times it has more of a softness or fuzzyness to it.

4. The eye relief on this thing is annoying, are there any eyepieces that help with this, or do eyepieces only help field of view?

Looking from inside your house does reduce clarity. Your windows are not made of optical glass, so yes your images will become soft. Yes you can get different eyepieces. I did own a 60mm Nikon years ago they are very good scopes. Yes the scope is good for digiscoping but you would also need a stable tripod to.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back