• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon IS 10x30 v. Canon IS 10x42 L (1 Viewer)

Well, maybe another alternative to consider, especially if you are taking some other stuff along, is a Maxpedition shoulder bag. Mine will hold a large bino (either the 15x IS or a 12x50SE), bird guide, water bottle, bug spray, cell phn, keys, a smaller bino (8x32SE will squeeze in....or if I have the 8x on the neck strap, a pocket bird or tree guide, or small snack pack.....in short, it holds a lotta stuff and is easy to carry, being a bandolier-style device. Also holds my compass, "Burn Notice" shades, notepad & pen, etc....and if I'm goin' into the wilds where I might run across something that might consider me an intruder, or worse yet, a meal, instead of the large guide, a full-size .357 revolver and a couple speed loaders. It's a really versatile, hands free, way to hike & bird....

There are also some rather low-impact excercises you can do that will help if your neck, shoulder and back feel strained when carrying the bino on the strap.

Nice review. I particularly liked your observation about the night sky view. For me it worked in reverse.
I bought a 10x42 pair for astronomy and it later led me to birding!

Last edited:
I've used my SunSniper camera strap as a shoulder bandolier for my 18x50. The connector is small enough to clear the battery door too. I am sure the cheaper BlackRapid strap would work the same.

Hi Rick, hope you'll be reading this;

I've just found out that there are two types of SunSniper straps; one regular 'SunSniper' and the other with a steel wire within the length of the entire strap, the 'SunSniper Steel'.
The latter obviously for people who don't want to be robbed by a thief cutting the strap and taking the camera.
Now, I'm not concerned about that, but it has crossed my mind that the steel-wire strap may be a bit less supple and might or might not cause the thick shoulder pad to move around more than the strap without the wire.
On the other hand, the bins might just move nicer over a less supple strap.

Which one do you own?

I can order one or the other here, the 'steel wire strap' being a little more expensive.

Best regards,

Ronald

Sorry, just saw this. I have the "steel". It is a thin wire and does not affect the pliability of the strap at all.

Sorry, just saw this. I have the "steel". It is a thin wire and does not affect the pliability of the strap at all.

Hi Rick,

:t: Thanks! I'll be going for the SunSniper Steel, too.

BTW, in the picture you posted of your 18x50's, are these filters I see screwed onto the objectives? Or glassless filter-extensions of some sort to protect the objectives' optical windows?

Best regards,

Ronald

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back