• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

15x50 as steady as 10x30? (1 Viewer)

Hello
Does the 15x50 feel more shaky than the 10x30? Or are they on par?
Thanks for your experience.
Carsten J

It feels shakier. Obviously you have to hold it steadier to keep the image stable, because of the higher magnification and the greater weight. The 10x30 is a better "all-round" choice, whereas the 15x50 serves me well when I don't want to carry binos and a scope, and am expecting to be watching birds at a distance of over 300 metres or so.

I concur with Sancho, though I had the 10x30 IS - 18x50 IS combination.
The 10x30 IS is far easier on the eye, with less effort to hold steady. It can be used one-handed, too, because the IS-button is placed in the center, which allows you to use your index finger to focus and your middle finger to keep the IS-button depressed.
The IS-button in the 15x50 and 18x50 models is placed offset, on the right. It will allow you to press it quickly and then release it to engage the IS-mode, but the weight and the bigger magnification of the 15x50's will be less easy to hold steady. It just takes a little more time to get steady views.

Best regards,

Ronald

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back