• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Leica 7x42 Ultravid HD Plus" owners experience compared to non "Plus" (1 Viewer)

My problem is I have nowhere to do such a side-by-side comparison. I even went in B&H Photo in NYC and whilst they had all three in stock, only one was in the display case to fiddle with.

Where does one go to try these three alphas in the same place?

I don't know how far you are from the gulf coast. I remember the owner/manager of an optics store New Orleans or Baton Rouge posting about Swarovski bins some time back. I vaguely remember him comparing EL and SF and I got the impression that the store had all the Alpha bins. I searched BF and couldn't find any of the posts. It may be that I had imagined the whole thing :)

Subzero888 .... You were not imaging the post. It was from a member who is associated with the web site Authorized Optics in Hammond, LA and the store front is called Outdoor Outfitters. Sorry, but I was unable to find the member's name or the post(s).

Here are three of their web sites that I know of .......
http://www.authorizedoptics.com/
http://www.sportoptics.com/
http://www.outdooroutfitters.com/

Thanks Bruce. With your help I found the posts related to Sport Optics in Hammond LA.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=304839#post3221610

There is a store local to me with a pair of 10x42 Ultravid HD still on clearance at $1950 CAD ($1469 USD). Sounds like a steal. What did they clear out at in USD when they were discontinued?

Its was the main reason, i went for the Ultravids, over the Noctovids.

I know the difference, between 7x magnification and 8x magnification, is not that huge, but i just prefered the whole ergonomics and handling of the Ultravids over the Noctovids.

The focussing wheel, on the ultravids, is more accessible are more user friendly, than the Noctovids.

There's nothing wrong with the open bridged style, but the Ultravids hold nicer in the hands.

I am sure to the more advanced birders, here, that will sound nuts, but i think i tried just about every model and specification, in the Manchester Leica showroom, and the Ultravids felt nicer in my hands.

Either its my eyesight, or perception, i found very little difference in image clarity or definition, over the Ultravids, compared to the Noctovids.

I know the Noctovids are supposed to be a step up in quality, to the Ultravids, but i could not discern much, if any difference in clarity between both models.

Would i have purchased the Noctovids over the Ultravids, had both been available in a 7x magnification ? probably not.

There is a slight difference in clarity, between the two, but i think that was due to the difference in magnification.

7xx 42 magnification, is quite a rarity, in high end binoculars, with 8x magnification far more popular.

Also, i was able to source a brand new, still boxed pair of 7x 42 HD+, for just £1300, which was a huge saving over list price.

In use, their just a dream, and that 7x magnification, was the main criteria for me, as the increased field of view and contrast, makes birdwatching effortless.

Last edited:
I am sure to the more advanced birders, here, that will sound nuts, but i think i tried just about every model and specification, in the Manchester Leica showroom, and the Ultravids felt nicer in my hands.
Hi Llan, it doesn't sound nuts at all. I agree in this case, and if you read this recent thread you'll meet others who find ergonomics very important generally, often in favor of a (somewhat) less expensive model, outweighing small optical differences. Enjoy your UV!

My UV HD 7x42 new old stock were cheap and now that I've cleaned the oculars they're ok.
The resolution is not spectacular, but eye comfort and general usability are great.
In french terms, they're like a good local restaurant, no stars but very pleasant to go to.

I'm thinking of finding a way to get infinity adjusted so I can use them without glasses.

Edmund

Edmund:
You do not seem very pleased with the Leica HD, and your choice of words, of not spectacular, just OK and more.

I am really wondering if you either need a better set of glasses, or a better set of eyes.....I enjoy the chatter. ;)

Jerry

I can't believe how much I enjoy our 7x42 UVHD+s, purchased before Christmas. Such a natural, gorgeous view, wholly immersive - and the saturated contrast - I find myself simply looking at landscapes with it in a way I've never used a binocular before. Very special indeed. And particularly great for forest birding - where the 8x is unnecessary and the field of view through bush/tree branches really helps. On the other end, nice for ferry birding, where a bit of shake reduction is a plus.

My UV HD 7x42 new old stock were cheap and now that I've cleaned the oculars they're ok.
The resolution is not spectacular
I would be concerned about a lemon sample. My 7x42 HD is tack sharp, as is my wife’s 8x32 HD and my prior Trinovid BR (and any other Leica I’ve tried). Many say the Noctovid is the sharpest bin they’ve tried.

Frankly if any “alpha” binocular doesn’t seem crazy sharp on axis, I would be concerned something is wrong.

I would be concerned about a lemon sample. My 7x42 HD is tack sharp, as is my wife’s 8x32 HD and my prior Trinovid BR (and any other Leica I’ve tried). Many say the Noctovid is the sharpest bin they’ve tried.

Frankly if any “alpha” binocular doesn’t seem crazy sharp on axis, I would be concerned something is wrong.
Eitan, I agree. I had a Ron-like feeling about my UVHD Plus 8x32 and 7x42. It turned out that the adjustment of the 32 was just within parameters but recently I exchanged it for a new one and now I can really see the difference - the new one is a stupendously resolving and high contrast glass.

The 7x42 is actually perfect and any problems with mine were due to slightly off dioptre setting.

Now I have got both right I am once again a very happy Leica user (as well as really enjoying some viewing with other great glass). I wonder if Ron's 7 was never quite right and it might be worth looking at another example.

Tom

Eitan, I agree. I had a Ron-like feeling about my UVHD Plus 8x32 and 7x42. It turned out that the adjustment of the 32 was just within parameters but recently I exchanged it for a new one and now I can really see the difference - the new one is a stupendously resolving and high contrast glass.

The 7x42 is actually perfect and any problems with mine were due to slightly off dioptre setting.

Now I have got both right I am once again a very happy Leica user (as well as really enjoying some viewing with other great glass). I wonder if Ron's 7 was never quite right and it might be worth looking at another example.

Tom
My local FNAC Leica salesman confirmed they were hazy.
Leica Paris said "they weren't the latest model"
Leica Paris pretended to send them in.
( the employee had some "issues" and then they couldnt find the binoculars)
I am really unhappy with their behavior.
They provided an invoice which said they're ok.
I'm inclined to say they're fairly decent after I, me, myself later cleaned the oculars.
Leica is not an optics company, they're a luxury company.
My Zeiss 8x25 are extremely sharp compared to the 7x42. I have tested other 8x binoculars, among which a pre HD Trinovid 8x, and I think the sample of Zeiss I have is VERY sharp.
The 7x42HD have a relaxed view and are very pleasant to use. I just had them in Cannes and used them for port views and marine birds.
Both basically cost me the same, and I like using the 7x42HD enough to keep them. I take them on trips and and I look at the birds on the feeder with them.
I think I can wait a few years before I get something else, the computer I am typing this on is 7 years old and will need replacing.
The 7x42HD were my first pair of binoculars. When I bought the Zeiss I did a bunch of comparisons and had my eyes trained and knew what to look for.
I'm an unpleasant nitpicker so your mileage may vary.
If I'm really desperate for a superb pair of 7x42HD Plus, I'm sure some forum member will sell me one in a few years time.
My eyes seem mostly ok. Which in the end is the most important thing :)

Edmund

Last edited:
My local FNAC Leica salesman confirmed they were hazy.
Leica Paris said "they weren't the latest model"
Leica Paris pretended to send them in.
( the employee had some "issues" and then they couldnt find the binoculars)
I am really unhappy with their behavior.
They provided an invoice which said they're ok.
I'm inclined to say they're fairly decent after I, me, myself later cleaned the oculars.
Leica is not an optics company, they're a luxury company.
My Zeiss 8x25 are extremely sharp compared to the 7x42. I have tested other 8x binoculars, among which a pre HD Trinovid 8x, and I think the sample of Zeiss I have is VERY sharp.
The 7x42HD have a relaxed view and are very pleasant to use. I just had them in Cannes and used them for port views and marine birds.
Both basically cost me the same, and I like using the 7x42HD enough to keep them. I take them on trips and and I look at the birds on the feeder with them.
I think I can wait a few years before I get something else, the computer I am typing this on is 7 years old and will need replacing.
The 7x42HD were my first pair of binoculars. When I bought the Zeiss I did a bunch of comparisons and had my eyes trained and knew what to look for.
I'm an unpleasant nitpicker so your mileage may vary.
If I'm really desperate for a superb pair of 7x42HD Plus, I'm sure some forum member will sell me one in a few years time.
My eyes seem mostly ok. Which in the end is the most important thing :)

Edmund
Edmund, that sounds like a good outlook and set of priorities after a very unprofessional experience with the Paris dealership. The following is only my feeling but if you do go for the Plus version at any point I think you will see a difference (but I know many say not). My original 8x32 HD Plus was 'fairly decent' but its replacement really much better, and putting the excitement back into viewing.

Best wishes,

Tom

Leica Paris says it is not the latest model, typical sales pitch. I just received a UV BR 10X50 back from first time service. I really do not see but a few 10X50s that could compare.

Andy W.

So the other people on this forum are NOT unpleasant nitpickers? That’s kind of what makes us all keep posting here and circling the drain on these repetitive comparisons! :p

I have had the Zeiss 8x25. It’s a very sharp bin. My wife’s 8x32 UVHD is perhaps even sharper. I also have on hand right now an 8x42 EDG and 10x32 EDG, which are also maximally sharp binoculars. We can all agree that’s some stiff competition.

This is the view out from my home, the top of that small mountain (red arrow) is about 1.5km away. It’s one of the more popular hikes in my area, and I can watch from my front yard the people streaming up and down (as well as the raptors and other distant birds cruising the ridge).

1615479152405.jpeg

Lately there’s been a little orange traffic cone, probably 1m tall, sitting on one of the big boulders. At that 1.5km distance the 7x42 UVHD have no problem resolving the same detail as any of the 8’s, and frankly I don’t even see a huge increase in sharpness with the 10x32 EDG.

Yes, with the 10’s that little orange cone looks a bit larger, and perhaps the contrast of the white stripe with the bright orange plastic is a bit more crisply defined, but not once, not even in this rather extreme situation, have I felt that the 7x42 is anything but deadly sharp. In fact, in some ways I think I prefer it to the higher mag bins for long distance scanning, as the combination of extreme Leica contrast / resolution with the massive depth of field just makes view seem effortlessly transparent.

So while you may not be motivated enough to do anything about it, I think you should not dismiss the multiple experienced owners (who are all also nitpicky and critical) who are telling you that something is probably wrong if you get the sense they aren’t that sharp.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back