• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

12x50 (1 Viewer)

Hi,
Used to carry a Docter 12x50BGA porro for birding, was generally very pleasant experience, get better resolution, loss of field not a critical issue for me, especially in woodlands, where the bird is usually just intermittently visible between the leaves. Also served very well on hawkwatch, the extra reach being important for my less than 20/20 vision. Bulk is an issue, so a harness or at least a wide comfortable neoprene strap is a must if you plan any day long trips.
Have since switched to a Canon 10x42IS, just as clunky but great to see through.

I always use mine on a monopod, but I bought mine with astronomy in mind. It becomes rather useful at the shore when birds may be more than fifty meters distant.

Because of the bulk and my need for the monopod, I cannot regard it as a general purpose binocular. However, I did meet a young man on a bicycle in Central Park, who used it handheld as his general glass. With it he could spot a falcon almost a kilometer, away.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back