• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which lens for camera ? (1 Viewer)

albatross02

Hello,

I have got only analog camera yet.
Mostly I use video camera.
But some times also pictures needed especially for bird id.
Furthermore I take pictures from plants ( mostly orchids and ferns ).
So I made often pictures with camcorder.
But this pictures are much worse than an good camera like D80 and so on.
My camcorder takes only 1 Megapixel pictures. but even new camcorder take 10 Megapixel ( like Sony ), I think the pictures are much worse like a good camera.

Because I will use camera also in rain forest I think about metall body is better than plastic. So I would prefer D 300 than D 80 or D 90.
But more important are the lens.
I need zoom like 70 - 300 or fixed maybe 300 ?

e.g.
AF-S VR 70-300 mm/4.5-5.6G IF-ED

What is possible with such a lens especially in bad light conditions like in tropical rainforest ?
It seems better lens like 4.5-5.6G costs 10 x more ?

Which lens are used for plant pictures ( included detailed photo like spores from ferns also in bad light conditions like tropical rainforest ) ?
Most of my pictures are plants ( about 80 % ).

Best regards
Dieter

Here's my opinion on the subject. A D300 will give you considerbly more useable ISO which means you can up your shutter speed for poor light. Between the 70-300 VR and the 300 F/4 no VR, the F/4 is better glass but you have a fixed focal length and need to shoot at least at 1/500 because of no VR unless you want to lug around a tripod. 1/500 isn't easy to get in low light. VR does make a difference and is very useful in low light. I have both of those lenses and do not like the F/4 for low light, but I use it whenever I can because of the better glass. The difference between the quality of pictures in the two lenses is not huge but it does matter to a picky person. Don't think I would use either one in a rain storm though. It is a trade off. Too bad Nikon doesn't have VR in their F/4.

Dan

Hello Dan,

thank You for the advice.
Macro lens is ok.

Another question is the lens for birds.
I do not want take bird portraits.
Prefer birds with their enviroment.
But it must possible to identify birds.
Especially if I travel abroad, mostly I get the knowledge after the vacation.

Is 70 - 300 or 300 lens ok ?
There are 300, 4 and 300, 2,8.
Is 300, 4 enough even during morning or evening, when the light is not so good.
Is it also ok for tropical areas e.g. rainforest ?

Best regards
Dieter

and need to shoot at least at 1/500 because of no VR unless you want to lug around a tripod. 1/500 isn't easy to get in low light.

Dan

Use a monopod! With the 300/4 it mates with a 1.4TC perfectly and on a monopod is a very nice unit, light enough to carry with options on focal length. Well suited for shutter speeds well below 1/500

Hello,

thank You for the advices.
I had different ideas.
70 - 300, 4.0 Sigma
300/ 4.0 Sigma or Nikon, but Nikon has no 300,4.0 with VR

another idea was
Nikon 70 - 200, 2.8 and 1.7 or 2.0 TC

Best regards
Dieter

Which lens are used for plant pictures ( included detailed photo like spores from ferns also in bad light conditions like tropical rainforest ) ?
Most of my pictures are plants ( about 80 % )

Hi Deiter.

Have you considered getting a good quality compact for the plant photos?

I use an old 5MP Sony DSC-T1. It has a really good 'microscope' mode for getting in really close, which may be just what you need for tiny things like spores etc.

Sony probably have newer versions, but you can pick up a used DSC-T1 for as little as £20-30.

I just took these pics (a 2 Euro coin, and a Primrose flower) with mine to give you some idea of what it can do:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back