• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

IS Weather problems (1 Viewer)

Alfonso

Interested from those that have had issues with moisture and these (in particular, the 12x36 II . . . one I am considering).

I'm out rain or shine. I also glass around quite a bit in the winter where in my area it could be down to -40C or lower. And I don't particularly like to baby equipment. That said, I also do quite a bit of astro viewing, so understand things like prevention of condensation etc. etc. But I'd really like to hear from folks that have had issues and just what kind of environment produced the problems.

thanks

Hi Terra3,
My 10x42 has been entirely reliable, in rain and heat and on wet shores. I've no real experience with them in Alberta winters, NYC is several planting zones warmer, but they are not likely to die on you.
The main glitch would be the battery, as their output declines with the cold. I've found lithium batteries expensive but very durable, they are supposed to have a decent temperature range, but -40C may be pushing it. Do note this glass is a great performer even without the IS, but my guess is if you see a good bird in those conditions, you will want the binocs to do their stuff.
I'd give Canon a jingle, they should have some test data.
the 10x42 is my only Canon IS experience, so no insight for the 12x36 unfortunately.

The 12x36 isn't sealed at all (sliding objectives) so in the tropics or humid or damp environments or moving from humid indorrs to cold outdoors it could have a problem.

I take my 10x30IS (essentially the same construction) out in drizzle and some rain and haven't had any fogging. But YMMV. And I mostly avoid the wet. I also purse carry it so it's shielded under my arm.

But you do have to baby these. They aren't sealed units. And they're less sealed than say the Nikon SE which isn't immersion proof but does OK in the rain.

The 50mm are weather resistant which seems to mean not immersion proof but OK in the rain (so long as they don't get too wet).

The 10x42 is the only one that is immersion proof i.e. really waterproof.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back