• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Turnstones (1 Viewer)

DSpeight

Buzzard Enthusiast
Not exactly rarities, but I saw two immature Turnstone among 6 Redshank at South Shore, Flamborough last Saurday, (14th August). I'm no expert, but I would have thought they were quite unusual for this time of year?

David S

Quite a large number of Turnstones, many still in summer plumage, returning last week along the Morayshire coast. About the usual time of year that they return. A nice Purple Sand with them too.

JP

DSpeight said:
Not exactly rarities, but I saw two immature Turnstone among 6 Redshank at South Shore, Flamborough last Saurday, (14th August). I'm no expert, but I would have thought they were quite unusual for this time of year?

David S
They are lovely birds, aren't they? I would have thought they were quite common this time of year - I'm not at all sure, but don't the youngsters precede the adults on their way south? We saw lots of them when we were up in Northumberland the other week.

Hi Steve

Of course you are correct. There a loads of Turnstones on the Northumberland coast right now. I tend to take these birds for granted I'm afraid but thought a small number stayed with us all summer, be they non breeders. I also thought they bred in Northern Scotland on occaisions. Perhaps someone needs to put me right on that.

Cheers Brian

I don't know the answer, either, Brian - but I have sen them in summer in Wales, too, so maybe a few do breed in the UK?

I'm no expert but we too have small numbers of them thoughout the year around Teesmouth and Hartlepool. Numbers have decidedly increased though over the last couple of weeks.

I doubt they breed here, the ones you get throughout the Summer are probably 1st Summer birds (?)

Thanks everyone. Just shows you shouldn't believe everything you read in books!

And I thought they were very attractive too.

David S

Attractive indeed! Had a summer plumaged adult male right under our nose yesterday at Dawlish Warren. The tide pushed them right up to the hide and it was great to scope in on individual feathers and look into their eyes trying to see what they are thinking of us!

Andrew they were briliant to watch so close and i was lucky to get some very good photos and of a few others, i could watch Turnstones all day long, flicking up pebbles and seaweed looking for tasties bites.

I don't know if this is relevant but they are quite common round here, this is a photo I took a little while ago with an ordinary camera. Fingers crossed I got my ID right.

Mick

Attachments

• turnstones.JPG
    turnstones.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 192
DSpeight said:

David S

Ruddy Turnstones are quite regular here in Victoria (Australia) during the summer months... the first arrivals should be appearing soon.

Redshank, however, is rarity to our shores (sometimes seen up north in Darwin, Broome etc),

Cheers,
Poephila

Hello
Is this a Turnstone?
I took this photo while visiting St Ives in Cornwall, on the 24th march 2004.
There was just the one, and it didn't seem at all concerned at my photographing it(him/her).
Tracey

Attachments

• Turnstone perhaps.jpg
    Turnstone perhaps.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 157
Yes it is a Turnstone. I find they are often vey approachable too letting you walk within a couple of feet.

BTW Tracey on behalf of Admin and the Moderators welcome to Bird Forum :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back