• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nightjar at Lake Manyara, Tanzania (1 Viewer)

sirijay

Took this photo late February at Lake Manyara. It kept flying around, but came to the ground around the same locations. Please help with ID.
Thanks.

Attachments

• Nightjar.jpg
    Nightjar.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 124
Square-tailed for me. Other contender was European, but the distinct buff-white tips on the coverts and secondaries preclude this species

It's certainly slender/square-tailed (check the white tail edge, and covert tips). You could convince me of either, though if slender with a shorter projection than sometimes. It's surprisingly dificult to see the extension when they're sitting down sometimes. Check some similar images here: http://www.tanzaniabirds.net/African_birds/Nightjar_slender-tailed/stnj.htm. From habitat I'd suggest slender-tailed, and I think I've only heard that around Manyara, but I'd expect both in the general area.

Ah, my fieldguide's map didn't really show ST around that area which is why I discounted it (although they're both bloody similar!).....but you'd know better than me TZ, being in-country!!

Thanks much. Interestingly, the book I have "Birds of Kenya & Northern Tanzania" by Zimmerman etc., does not list the "square tail" at all. Not sure why>

There are lots of names for that one - Gabon and Mozambique are both fairly commonly used. Caprimulgus fossii is the only certain name! The maps for most fieldguides in Tanzania are not always helpful (though just checked Stevenson and Fanshawe and I think I tend to agree with them this time). But we're very excited that the TZ Bird Atlas will soon be producing a draft paper copy for taking in the field - hopefully in time for the PAOC in Oct. Hurrah!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back