• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8 x 42 TRINOVID WINS GRAY'S BEST AWARD (1 Viewer)

ceasar

On the newsstand today: Gray's Sporting Journal. Issue #7. Gray's Best Awards.

The award for the best binocular goes to the Leica 8 x 42 Trinovid. Written commentary is by Terry Wieland, Shooting Editor.

So get off your DUF, stop comparing and analyzing DOF, FOV, CA, edge sharpness, brightness and run down to the nearest B&N and see how your BIN compares with it!:king:

Bob

The award for the best binocular goes to the Leica 8 x 42 Trinovid. Written commentary is by Terry Wieland, Shooting Editor.

So get off your DUF, stop comparing and analyzing DOF, FOV, CA, edge sharpness, brightness and run down to the nearest B&N and see how your BIN compares with it!:king:

Bob

Bob:

Interesting, what did it win? Best new 8x42?
I do hope Dennis does not read this one.

Can you post a link?

Jerry

Bob

They, of course, were talking about the original 8x42 Trinnovid. ;)

Like James said, and I now rephrase, nobody really seems to be wetting their pants over the new Trinnies like they are with the new Conquest HDs.

I think it's time for a "shoot out". The 8x42 New Trinovid vs. the 8x42 Conquest HD at 5 meters depth after spending the night in the freezer. Then maybe the Trinny would win. :smoke:

<B>

Last edited:
Jerry,

I looked for a link but could not find one. I was at my local B&N today and noticed that the newest issue just was put on the stands. The review is not detailed and takes about 1/2 a page as with all the other awards. I was in a hurry and did not want to stand in line to buy one. I will probably get it tomorrow.

Bob

They, of course, were talking about the original 8x42 Trinnovid. ;)

<B>

No, of course they were not!;)

But the original Trinovids were the ones Terry Wieland was talking about in his 2006 article GSJ article titled 8 x 30 Who Could Ask For Anything More?

Bob

Although I am pleased (as a proud owner of one) that Leica has come tops in this, I can't help thinking that birders are the better judge.

Why? Hunters only need to spot it, while birders need to look at tiny details too ;)

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm genuinely interested in opinions on this - not trying to start a volatile debate.

Last edited:
Aww shucks, all of these awards go to the highest bidder. I say that, knowing that Gray's have given a few of their awards to various Zeiss over the years........

Aww shucks, all of these awards go to the highest bidder. I say that, knowing that Gray's have given a few of their awards to various Zeiss over the years........

Just wait until next year. After all the marketing Zeiss has done to the hunting community with the HT, aeven designing the focuser especially so hunters won't have to lift their hats in the cold, I have a feeling the HT is going to make the grade with Gray's in 2013.

<B>

Although I am pleased (as a proud owner of one) that Leica has come tops in this, I can't help thinking that birders are the better judge.

Why? Hunters only need to spot it, while birders need to look at tiny details too ;)

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm genuinely interested in opinions on this - not trying to start a volatile debate.

Hi Simon

I can think of a few reasons why some, perhaps many, hunters would need to see details. If I've got some of this wrong, no doubt someone will correct me.

You can't shoot everything all year round so hunters interested in observing and identifying birds and wildlife need decent bins for this.

On a shoot hunters see stuff that they are interested in identfying not shooting.

Shooting birds in Europe (ducks, geese, partridge, grouse etc) some can be shot, others are protected so you need to indentify species.

Those that can be shot can have different shooting seasons so you need to identify species.

Some hunters will have their own ideas about what it is reasonable or desirable to shoot, over and above any legal limits. So ID to species is necessary.

Are all deer shootable at the same time of year? Are some species difficult to tell apart? I don't know but this could lead to a requirement to identify to species.

If a hunter is looking for a trophy then likely he will want to count the tines on the antlers and make sure there are no broken ones.

There are probably other reasons for hunters wanting/needing/desiring good or top quality bins. After all they don't all go down to the shopping mall and buy Acme 20x60s for 25 USD do they?

Lee

Just wait until next year. After all the marketing Zeiss has done to the hunting community with the HT, aeven designing the focuser especially so hunters won't have to lift their hats in the cold, I have a feeling the HT is going to make the grade with Gray's in 2013.

<B>

Peterson's have already done so - I'm not even sure if they had an HT in hand though.....

Hi Simon

I can think of a few reasons why some, perhaps many, hunters would need to see details. If I've got some of this wrong, no doubt someone will correct me.

You can't shoot everything all year round so hunters interested in observing and identifying birds and wildlife need decent bins for this.

On a shoot hunters see stuff that they are interested in identfying not shooting.

Shooting birds in Europe (ducks, geese, partridge, grouse etc) some can be shot, others are protected so you need to indentify species.

Those that can be shot can have different shooting seasons so you need to identify species.

Some hunters will have their own ideas about what it is reasonable or desirable to shoot, over and above any legal limits. So ID to species is necessary.

Are all deer shootable at the same time of year? Are some species difficult to tell apart? I don't know but this could lead to a requirement to identify to species.

If a hunter is looking for a trophy then likely he will want to count the tines on the antlers and make sure there are no broken ones.

There are probably other reasons for hunters wanting/needing/desiring good or top quality bins. After all they don't all go down to the shopping mall and buy Acme 20x60s for 25 USD do they?

Lee

I don't know about the generality of hunters, but a lot of the wildfowlers in my part of the world don't seem to use binoculars much if at all. Those after partridge or pheasant largely have them driven over their head so have little time to use binoculars even if they had the inclination. Most don't seem to have them anyhow. But then a number of them appear to have a fairly cavalier attitude to what they shoot; a friend has seen protected species shot (reported) and one wildfowler once told that it was easy to confuse a Pheasant with a Bittern! Also they tend to use them in more limited context than birders (although arguably more often at dawn & dusk). I appreciate that this may not apply elsewhere, but in the UK I'd take the advice of a well informed birder over a hunter everytime.

I showed Jerry's EL WB to my neighbor who is a deer hunter and has the goatee to prove it.;)

Since it was supposed to be a popular bin with hunters, I thought he'd be familiar with it, but he never heard of it@*! So I asked him what kind of bins he uses for hunting, and he said he doesn't. He has a zoom riflescope, though he didn't remember the brand.

I was at Dick's Sporting Goods today to see if they had any Christmas specials on bins, but except for the three left in the display case they were all *SOLD*. Although they have few higher end bins available online, this store, which is not in a rural town, but in a rather prosperous small city, sells mostly low priced Nikon, Bushnells, and Leupolds including Bushnells in blister packs. They also had a Brunton Echo and Steiner Safari Pro last time I was there, which are also low priced. The salesman said they have a truck coming in tonight with more bins.

Boy, won't those hunters be disappointed when they wake up Christmas morning and find that Mrs. Claus didn't buy them a Zeiss, Leica, Swaro, or Meopta bin like all the Dutch hunters are going to find under their Christmas trees?. ;)

<B>

Last edited:
It is wat it is Brock,

I reacted on a question on this thread based on experience.
You on the otherhand on hearsay.
Keep dreaming of Mrs. Santa.
Jan

Dick's Sporting Goods doesn't sell high-end binoculars. None of their stores do, so I don't think that proves too much about what hunters use.

You'll have to try Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops, etc. Those places have cases full of the good stuff, right alongside the lesser stuff.

Mark

IMHO there is a big difference in the hunting experience in the US and down here. If I am correctly informed their are about 30 million hunters in the US and about 200.000 in Holland. Down here we have, let's say, two kinds of hunters. The farmers, who own the land (minimum of 40 acres) and hunt on it. They don't invest much in optics. Everything will do the trick for them. Then you have, what we call the civilians. They invest heavy in optics and for a good reason! For this we have to go back into the European history where hunting was was only for the nobles. The landowners hunted.
In the present time Holland is one of the most populized country in the world and hunting land has to be rented. There is not so many land left so a lot of hunters go to Scotland, Hungary, Poland etc. They pay a lot of money to shoot a trophy and when they shoot the wrong animal they pay a hell of a lot money more, so they have the best optics to make sure there is no mistake. This investment pays itself double/triple back. So down here A fabric optics is very common for hunters.
Jan

As bird hunter in the US for decades, I can tell you, no bird hunter uses bins.
The only big game hunters that use bins are those that hunt in mountainous areas with long distances to judge an animal and determine whether it is worth the effort to make a stalk involving hours of hard labor.
As such I use Leica simply because from an engineering standpoint, I believe they are the best.
I carried this over as I am starting to bird watch with my wife simply because the Leica stuff is usually bomb proof and I don't have to concern myself with optical nit picking.-Dick

l

As bird hunter in the US for decades, I can tell you, no bird hunter uses bins.
The only big game hunters that use bins are those that hunt in mountainous areas with long distances to judge an animal and determine whether it is worth the effort to make a stalk involving hours of hard labor.
As such I use Leica simply because from an engineering standpoint, I believe they are the best.
I carried this over as I am starting to bird watch with my wife simply because the Leica stuff is usually bomb proof and I don't have to concern myself with optical nit picking.-Dick

l
Dick:

Most all big game hunters use binoculars. And that includes all areas from the
woods to the plains to the mountains. That means there is not one size fits
all, 6X to 15X, are in use, and they do cover much the the range.

Jerry

Jerry

That's right NDhunter as a flatlander I use my bins to deer hunt regularly. As for bird hunters not using binoculars isn't 100% accurate because I wouldn't be caught turkey hunting without a binocular.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back