• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So, just what is a binocular factory? (1 Viewer)

Steve C

We are always getting into this discussion on some level in various posts on multiple threads. The question I think needs to be discussed. Bear with me here there are lots of questions to follow. ;)

So as it says in the title, what is a binocular factory? For instance, we hear there are very few places in the world that qualify. The number is typically less than the number of fingers on two hands. So let us list these places. Who are they, where are they, and why, in your either/or professional/personal opinion, deserving of a place on your list?

What does this factory or facility (whatever you think it should be called) need to do to make your list? For example, if they do not mix, pour, cure, cut grind, polish, and coat glass for every conceivable lens application in a binocular, are they banished from your list? What if they do not cast their own binocular bodies, mold their own armor, and machine their own focus mechanisms? What if they do not manufacture every single component on the binocular bearing their name we remove brand new from the box? Are they a factory? If not a factory how do you define them? Are there a number of units needed in terms of annual production in order to make the list? Can they make only their own brand name, or can they make instruments for multiple customers?

Where does the line from “factory” to “facility” happen? My thinking of the definition of facility here is at some point they cease making enough of a percentage of their own components to be booted in disgrace from your list. For your list, what is that point? Is there a size limit to this facility (or whatever name you wish to use)? Where does manufacturing fade into assembly?

Is the only legitimate entity in your thinking confined to your definition of a factory? We hear about how many “brands” are nothing more than poor Johnny come lately excuses who just go to one of said factories on your list, buy whatever they have on the shelf for the right price, put their name on it and sell it to an ignorant and unsuspecting public. There has to be, it would seem to me, a continuum of sorts between on one hand the super factory that does it all, to the poor pitiful re-brander of somebody else’s goods.

There is the endless debate of who makes it? Where is it made? Like somebody thinks their bargain brand binocular is great simply because they have convinced themselves it is made by some company who makes this really great brand for somebody else. This cheap one I bought is great too because it is made by the same outfit.. It has been pointed out many times the germane points are design, quality, workmanship, warranty, and service. How much mixing of these can occur outside of your factory?

I hope this is sufficient to make the point of the post and enough to start a discussion. There are lots of questions I asked, certainly there are more than those I asked.

I have other points that I’ll bring up as the discussion progresses. I hope it progresses as I happen to think it has potential to be pretty useful. The point is there must be some sort of definition concerning what is or is not legitimate.

:cat:
We are always getting into this discussion on some level in various posts on multiple threads. The question I think needs to be discussed. Bear with me here there are lots of questions to follow. ;)

So as it says in the title, what is a binocular factory? For instance, we hear there are very few places in the world that qualify. The number is typically less than the number of fingers on two hands. So let us list these places. Who are they, where are they, and why, in your either/or professional/personal opinion, deserving of a place on your list?

What does this factory or facility (whatever you think it should be called) need to do to make your list? For example, if they do not mix, pour, cure, cut grind, polish, and coat glass for every conceivable lens application in a binocular, are they banished from your list? What if they do not cast their own binocular bodies, mold their own armor, and machine their own focus mechanisms? What if they do not manufacture every single component on the binocular bearing their name we remove brand new from the box? Are they a factory? If not a factory how do you define them? Are there a number of units needed in terms of annual production in order to make the list? Can they make only their own brand name, or can they make instruments for multiple customers?

Where does the line from “factory” to “facility” happen? My thinking of the definition of facility here is at some point they cease making enough of a percentage of their own components to be booted in disgrace from your list. For your list, what is that point? Is there a size limit to this facility (or whatever name you wish to use)? Where does manufacturing fade into assembly?

Is the only legitimate entity in your thinking confined to your definition of a factory? We hear about how many “brands” are nothing more than poor Johnny come lately excuses who just go to one of said factories on your list, buy whatever they have on the shelf for the right price, put their name on it and sell it to an ignorant and unsuspecting public. There has to be, it would seem to me, a continuum of sorts between on one hand the super factory that does it all, to the poor pitiful re-brander of somebody else’s goods.

There is the endless debate of who makes it? Where is it made? Like somebody thinks their bargain brand binocular is great simply because they have convinced themselves it is made by some company who makes this really great brand for somebody else. This cheap one I bought is great too because it is made by the same outfit.. It has been pointed out many times the germane points are design, quality, workmanship, warranty, and service. How much mixing of these can occur outside of your factory?

I hope this is sufficient to make the point of the post and enough to start a discussion. There are lots of questions I asked, certainly there are more than those I asked.

I have other points that I’ll bring up as the discussion progresses. I hope it progresses as I happen to think it has potential to be pretty useful. The point is there must be some sort of definition concerning what is or is not legitimate.

There is "endless debate" among those who need something to talk about; what constitutes a bino factory changes as fast as the companies themselves. The main thing to remember is that most "manufacturers" here, and in Europe, are just importers. That includes the king of the importers himself--David BUSHNELL.

During the war years, there were several companies making binoculars in the United States:

Bausch & Lomb
American Optical
Anchor Optical
Square D Optical
United Film Corporation
Universal Film Corporation
Kelvinator
Nash
Bell & Howell
Wollensak
Hayward Lumber Co.
More.

To my knowledge, most, if not all, these companies were under contract to B&L. We should realize that most of them were just helping with the war effort.

American Optical—ophthalmic
Square D—electrical panels
Kelvinator—electric refrigeration
Nash—autos
Bell & Howell—cameras
United Film Corporation—motion pictures
Hayward Lumber Co.—Duh!

Trying to compete on the world optical stage with Germany, Britain had some serious players who, for the war effort, worked closely together.

Ross of London Ltd.
Theodore Hamblin
Barr & Stroud
Hilger & Watts
Cooke & Sons
Elliot Brothers
Troughton & Simms
Dollond & Aichison
W. Ottway & Co. Ltd.
More.

Some made all their own instruments. Others subcontracted parts. After the war our desire to stay with binoculars died. Through several buyouts and company takeovers, the remnants of some of these British firms are still with us.

What is a binocular factory? Whatever you want it to be.

For me, it is a company that has the molds and manufactures MOST of the essential parts--except the glass. Maybe it’s because I’m an old guy, but I refuse to look at an “assembler” as a “manufacturer.” I wouldn’t call a cat a dog for the same reason! :cat:

Bill

Last edited:
Steve,

First congrats with this thread!

At my visits to Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski etc. I've never witnessed any binocular body casting but all of them did it out of an massif Aluminium block for the riflescope bodies because of the tension that would occur in a "normal" tube.

So we can wipe out the housing issue.

When I was at Steiners the marketing/sales guys told me they made everything inhouse. I had heard earlier that their roofs were made in their Chinese plant, so when we walked through the production facility I asked one of the workers, who was preparing Porro binoculars, where the roof prisms were.
The answer I got was: "Roof prisms? We don't have roof prisms here".

So we can wipe out the exclusive manufacturing. A lot is completely sourced out, even by the brands who claim it is Made in......

Can/may we expect from a optic company to die cast?
I know from Swarovski they let the casting be done by an Austrian Firm specialized in this matter and inhouse at Swarovski they fine tune the body.

The grinding and polishing machines are built in coöperation with the manufacturer and both profit from their mutual expertise.

The same goes for the high vacuum coating equipment.

Glass comes from Hoya, Ohara etc. in blanks and/or blocks.

So, strictly speaking, it's all assembly.
At the end it's the experience and workmanship that counts.

I consider for example Kamakura and Swarovski as OEM's.
I don't consider all the subs like Bushnell as OEM's.

That's the difference IMO.

Jan

Last edited:
Very interesting thread Steve !!

Jan I noticed you considered Kamakura and Swarovski as OEM's what about the Z and L?

Ha Steve,

Naturally Zeiss and Leica are in the same league as Swarovski with this small difference that Swaro does not outsource, while Leica has two plants (Germany/Portugal) and Zeiss outsources the Terra completely, the Conquest is assembled in Wetzlar, the mono's and some other small stuff are made in their plant in Hungary and the HT/SF are (as far as I know) really made in Germany/Wetzlar.

So in purist way of view Swarovski/Leica are OEM's while Zeiss and Meopta are OEM's also ofcourse.

Jan

I would guess some of the Chinese factories are 100% in house, and if the tentacles of the overlords within the Chinese govt run as deep as I have heard, you might could consider the glass to be inhouse to the manufacturer

. The Japanese used to have numerous small workshops making parts, which were then assembled into optical instruments. I don't know if this situation still applies.

Minolta made their own glass, and had their own designers, at least for the cameras and lenses but whether or not they outsourced some of the smaller parts for binoculars, I don't know.

Could one now make one's own binocular from scratch using these new 3-D printers?

Don't forget Taylor Taylor Hobson, the National Optical company and Kershaw.

Last edited:
I would guess some of the Chinese factories are 100% in house, and if the tentacles of the overlords within the Chinese govt run as deep as I have heard, you might could consider the glass to be inhouse to the manufacturer

As far as I'm aware only Vanguard makes that claim, thought I imagine Kamakura China has the capability. Otherwise I've been told of a few co-operatives of component manufacturers in various cities that operate under a single umbrella name. For the most part I'm told the 'thousands' of other factories buy in some or all of their parts.

David

Is this thread related to your interest in Maven?

The real reason behind the thread is nothing more than my interest in optics. That is the reason for my forum membership and participation. The trigger for the post is however partly related to the thread I started here on Maven. Also part of the trigger is found on a Maven thread on 24 Hour Campfire in the Hunting Optics section. The trigger is/was comments about Chinese knock offs. While the Maven site clearly says their partner is Japanese with years of longevity, the knee jerk reaction is for somebody to pop off about how it has to be Chinese. Not just Maven, it happens in anything that falls outside of somebody's perception of what a real optic is. So while the trigger is found in the Maven threads, it is not related to an interest in Maven. My interest in Maven is nothing more than an extension of my interest in optics, as is this thread.

So this always gets into the discussion of who makes it and where is it made, and the inevitable assertion that most places just buy stuff off the shelf of a real factory and just sell that. A lot of that is nothing more than ignorant hot air that does nothing but further confuse a confusing topic.

I've had this thought for a thread in mind for some time. I would simply like to know what people's perceptions of binocular manufacture are. Maybe some clarity will emerge. Maybe not.

Pentax has binoculars (DCF BC 9x32) that say "HOYA Corp Made in Philippines" on them. I think that some Sightron binoculars are made there too.

Bob

Yes some Chinese manufacture is in house. I have been told by several outfits that have Chinese connections that the present business climate in China is pretty much if you don't fool with or somehow challenge the government you can get as big as you want to. Play by their rules and you are OK.

So Chinese optical facilities can range from the full meal deal of total in house to much smaller assembly facilities. With regard to the latter, think of something along the lines of a large office building with office space, conference room, a CNC shop, optical lab space, and environmentally controlled assembly rooms. Add in a shipping receiving section for the parts they have to get outside their facility to assemble their binocular.

We hear of Chinese connection and manufacture of products from Japanese companies like Nikon and Kamakura. My thought is they are likely some size variation of the above.

For instance in Kruger Optical's website they speak of their "factory". They have since moved from Sisters OR, to Beaverton OR. I've been to the Sisters place twice. It was housed in a two story office style building representative of the sort of building you see with offices for Doctors, lawyers, accounts and other businesses in. They had essentially the layout I described above. They talked of their place in China, which I gathered was pretty similar to what they had in Sisters, and probably now have in Beaverton.

Last edited:
In Germany, production and engineeering were tightly coordinated and controlled until recently.
Now, bits of production get done in China.

In Japan, they started with dozens of plants the swapped contracts all the time.
Things consolidated eventually for some outfits like Nikon and Pentax,
but there are special tightly controlled plants still, like Kowa and Opticron.
They all dip in the Chinese well too.

In China, you have a handful of huge powerful plants that produce the
cream and the dregs side by side.

One thing holds true across time: the name-brand distributor's job is to
specify the design quality and ride herd over the finished product, because
batches can go very bad if you don't put trusted QC at the exit door.
Japan pretty much solved the consistency problem during the JTI years,
but troubles come and go.

Whole model lines have been dropped because the name-brand let
too much junk through and then couldn't regain control over their
Chinese factory line. Optical quality is common even at low prices.
Mechanical quality can be great....or really horrific. It can easily
spoil a great set of fully multi-coated lenses. For a worst case, though,
you can have plastic field lenses and fingerprints hidden in a design that
was awesome months before.

The quality of the actual design is hard to determine from online ratings
because almost everyone is thrilled the first few models they use.
Looking for QC trouble is easier, if the qty. of reviews is high enough.
The 'one star' and 'two star' ratings, when they have specific failures
and not some philosophical princess-and-the-pea rant, can show the
bad apples that way. Things that are variable, like fussy eye placement,
may also show there too (ie, a few design flaws may show).

For top-end stuff, it's like stereo salon equipment:
you have to make the best of the raves and colicky noises
and take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Jan,post 3,
when I visited Steiner, I observed a whole line of roof prism assembly (of the Steiner topline roofs) and I saw also production and assembly of roof prism binoculars in the higher price range. Talking to the manager I was told that a number of companies was involved to make specific parts, so production of these parts was outsourced.
Gijs

Optic-Nut,
German companies that make a lot of or all their instruments themselves, (allthough for specific parts of the instruments other companies will be used (screws are not necessarily made by binocular companies, preshaped prisms are obtained from glass-making companies and so are preshaped lenses, so these optical components are finished by grinding, polishing and quality control in the binocular factories) are to my knowledge:
Leica, Zeiss, Optolyth, Docter, Minox , while in Austria it is Swarovski and the the Czech republic it is Meopta. It is now recently the Zeiss has used Kamakura to have all parts of the Conquests made in Japan while the Terra is fully made in China, allthough Zeiss has used Meopta also in the past for the production of its observation telescopes.
For a good overview of all Chinese and Japanes companies my knowledge is insufficient, but if I look at the Chinese binocular stands at the Photokina: there were quite a few.
Gijs

...I would simply like to know what people's perceptions of binocular manufacture are. Maybe some clarity will emerge. Maybe not.

A bit of a tangent, perhaps, but when it comes to putting together binoculars, the companies that I am most impressed with are those that have the capability to repair their bins (especially roof prism models), and without causing cosmetic damage. So in my book, Swarovski, Leica, and Zeiss (and Meopta?) take top honors. Nikon also seems to maintain an impressive capacity to do repairs even though the manufacturing is done for them by others, and Bushnell has done the same at least in the past.

--AP

Yes some Chinese manufacture is in house. I have been told by several outfits that have Chinese connections that the present business climate in China is pretty much if you don't fool with or somehow challenge the government you can get as big as you want to. Play by their rules and you are OK.

So Chinese optical facilities can range from the full meal deal of total in house to much smaller assembly facilities. With regard to the latter, think of something along the lines of a large office building with office space, conference room, a CNC shop, optical lab space, and environmentally controlled assembly rooms. Add in a shipping receiving section for the parts they have to get outside their facility to assemble their binocular.

We hear of Chinese connection and manufacture of products from Japanese companies like Nikon and Kamakura. My thought is they are likely some size variation of the above.

For instance in Kruger Optical's website they speak of their "factory". They have since moved from Sisters OR, to Beaverton OR. I've been to the Sisters place twice. It was housed in a two story office style building representative of the sort of building you see with offices for Doctors, lawyers, accounts and other businesses in. They had essentially the layout I described above. They talked of their place in China, which I gathered was pretty similar to what they had in Sisters, and probably now have in Beaverton.

I say in-house as a relative term. I had a friend who was trying to market medical widgets (for lack of a better term) in China. He said in business presentations at 5 different companies his final presentation always ended up being to the same guy. Well he said it was one presentation, and 4 meetings with him trying to explain why it was a good deal and the guy explaining to him it could be done if they would just manufacture it in China. So my friends take on it is, you may deal with different names, but you are dealing with China Inc no matter who you talk to.

So while there are numerous companies involved in it, they all answer to the same person

I say in-house as a relative term. I had a friend who was trying to market medical widgets (for lack of a better term) in China. He said in business presentations at 5 different companies his final presentation always ended up being to the same guy. Well he said it was one presentation, and 4 meetings with him trying to explain why it was a good deal and the guy explaining to him it could be done if they would just manufacture it in China. So my friends take on it is, you may deal with different names, but you are dealing with China Inc no matter who you talk to.

So while there are numerous companies involved in it, they all answer to the same person

Hence my you play by their rules and you are OK comment. It is the situation there. It is what it is you have to get along or do your thing elsewhere. Not the best scenario, but I guess it is what it is. If you can please they last guy you had to give the presentation to, well maybe you are in. Probably works just the same with optical doo dads as it does with medical widgets.

A bit of a tangent, perhaps, but when it comes to putting together binoculars, the companies that I am most impressed with are those that have the capability to repair their bins (especially roof prism models), and without causing cosmetic damage. So in my book, Swarovski, Leica, and Zeiss (and Meopta?) take top honors. Nikon also seems to maintain an impressive capacity to do repairs even though the manufacturing is done for them by others, and Bushnell has done the same at least in the past.

--AP

I'm not sure here, but I think it is becoming a tactical issue to find people who can do that sort of work. So I suppose to get them and keep them you need to pay them well and treat them right. Labor costs can be a sore spot.

It occurs to me here that another tangent to the original post would be to ask what defines an optical company in anyone's particular definition.

--AP

I agree Alexis. Meopta should definitely be included, as well as Leupold. SteveC, sent you a PM over on 24HCF. Having problems here.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back