• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A versatile digiscoping adapter (1 Viewer)

Will this Gadget fit an Optolyth 80mm angled scope with 20xWW lens,as Im very interested in buying this.Was going to pay £59.99 for somthing similar on Warehouse Express.
If it fits Ive saved nearly £30 :bounce:

Last edited:
Hi LSB,

the bigger of the two adaptors will fit the Zeiss zoom EP, and that's like a baked bean tin!

I'd be amazed if the Optolyth EP was bigger than the one on the Zeiss, so you should be fine.

Hi

Like the idea of this clamp and I'll be ordering one.

One question though; as I am a beginner at this!; I have ordered a Canon A95, so do I need another adaptor or will the clamp on its own do the trick whan attaching to my swaro zoom

Thanks in advance

blythkeith said:
Hi LSB,

the bigger of the two adaptors will fit the Zeiss zoom EP, and that's like a baked bean tin!

I'd be amazed if the Optolyth EP was bigger than the one on the Zeiss, so you should be fine.

Cheers Keith
Im now going to order one..Thanks for advice and the link.. :bounce:

fr0sty said:
do I need another adaptor or will the clamp on its own do the trick whan attaching to my swaro zoom
Hi fr0sty,
That clamp-thingy is all you need to attach the camera to the eyepiece. Just make sure to leave enough space for the zoom to extend.

Ilkka

iporali said:
Hi fr0sty,
That clamp-thingy is all you need to attach the camera to the eyepiece. Just make sure to leave enough space for the zoom to extend.

Ilkka

So if I used (for example) a Nikon 5200 (with no thread around the lens) this adaptor is all I need? I don't need anything else to connect the camera to the eyepiece?

If this is the case I'm going to invest in this adaptor and get myself a cheap compact digital camera.......................

Forgive my ignorance about these matters................

I'm going to Jessops today to see if I can use there universal shutter remote. My only concern is that it also screws into the tripod mount on the camera, the same as the adapter !. Hopefully the screw thread is removalable and theres enough thread on the adaptor to secure both.
Will let you know how I get on.

Glad my little review has helped some of you, you really can't go wrong for £30 but do check your eyepiece size and compare it to the clamp size on the web site before ordering, just in case ;)

stuprice68 said:
So if I used (for example) a Nikon 5200 (with no thread around the lens) this adaptor is all I need? I don't need anything else to connect the camera to the eyepiece?
Yes - this adaptor is really all you need - and this is why it is so flexible. No need for camera or scope specific accessories.:t:

Ilkka

stuprice68 said:

If this is the case I'm going to invest in this adaptor and get myself a cheap compact digital camera.......................

Forgive my ignorance about these matters................

You shouldn't do Stuprice68, all I did was put the eyecup in the up position and positioned the camera so the lens was just inside the eyecup, that way theres no chance of hitting the scope lens and also it keeps out unwanted light. Bear in mind though that my Canon A95 fits my ES80 ED's 32xww eyepiece almost precisley so if you do buy a camera take your scope with you to check.

Hopefully other people may be able to recommend a camera for you scope or suggest other options.
Hope this helps

Steve C

Last edited:
Steve,

I've just put my Eagle Eye shutter bracket (v. like the Jessops one) onto my A95 and I'm 99% certain that it'll be OK on the adaptor.

If it's like the Eagle Eye version, the knob on the Jessops bracket that screws into the camera is itself threaded, and will go onto your adaptor easily enough (and might even remove the need for the rubber washer you mentioned earlier).

Thats mine ordered will let you know how I get on with it. Now just counting the days till it arrives.. :bounce:

blythkeith said:
Steve,

I've just put my Eagle Eye shutter bracket (v. like the Jessops one) onto my A95 and I'm 99% certain that it'll be OK on the adaptor.

If it's like the Eagle Eye version, the knob on the Jessops bracket that screws into the camera is itself threaded, and will go onto your adaptor easily enough (and might even remove the need for the rubber washer you mentioned earlier).
Yep your right Keith I don't need the rubber washer now. Its a little fiddley to get everything together first time but after that once its set up its just a case of taking it on and off the scope. I don't like the pointy bit of the shutter release on the shutter button though so I might have to look for something to go between them.
All I need now is some sunny weather to try it all out, Oh look possible snow for the weekend what a suprise. :storm:

steve

I spoke to them today and ordered mine, they were going to dispatch today and said it would def be with me on friday, but may be tomorrow !!! 9but it was late when I ordered

SteveC said:
I don't like the pointy bit of the shutter release on the shutter button though so I might have to look for something to go between them.

I'd already thought of that and I'm planning on using an 8mm rubber bead, they already have a hole through the middle so should just push onto the *firing pin*(?).

A bit of glue might be necessary to stop them slipping or maybe make a new hole but only halfway through. You can buy them in fishing tackle shops.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back