• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sharper images (1 Viewer)

Freako

Hi Guys, What advice would you give for shooting Woodland birds on a dull day to obtain sharper image? I usually shoot in AV - 400iso as a standard but seem to struggle to know what to do when the light is poor. Any help would be much appreciated. Mick.

Hi Guys, What advice would you give for shooting Woodland birds on a dull day to obtain sharper image? I usually shoot in AV - 400iso as a standard but seem to struggle to know what to do when the light is poor. Any help would be much appreciated. Mick.

Getting sharp photos in low light is always a challenge.

My experience is that slow shutter speeds are mostly the problem. You might need to crank up ISO to get fast enough shutter speeds to freeze movement (1/250 or even higher).

Depending on what lens you have, things might get sharper if stopping down slightly.

Last edited:
Getting sharp photos in low light is always a challenge.

My experience is that slow shutter speeds are mostly the problem. You might need to crank up ISO to get fast enough shutter speeds to freeze movement (1/250 or even higher).

Depending on what lens you have, things might get sharper if stopping down slightly.

A good bit higher. Even 1/320 sec is too slow if the bird decides to do something simple like turn its head. Greenfinch at 1/320.

Attachments

• IMG_4916-1-320sec-800web.jpg
    IMG_4916-1-320sec-800web.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 210
400 ISO is definitely too low for a UK dull day. I don't know what focal length you're using but I think most of us are 400mm+ when shooting birds.

It's very much technique-related and experienced photographers can make sharp images @ 1/250 with IS, but I personally would be aiming to get a shutter speed of at least 1/800 for hand-holding and 1/400 on a tripod, and that's with IS.
Without IS - double it.

I only use ISO 400 in very bright sunny conditions, for UK woodland and dull days you really need 1600 or 3200 to get a decent shutter speed. Don't worry about noise too much, just get the shot well exposed to the right and the noise should be easy to remove.

Remember you can deal with noise subsequently, but you can't deal with blur.

Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back