• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Odd Behaviour of Turnstones (1 Viewer)

George Garner

Hi Everyyone,
Our group spent a very enjoyable day at Filey Brig
and Filey dams yesterday, While we were at The dams we got talking to some fellows , who told us of Red Throated Divers in Scarborough. Not being a group to miss out on such a good bird when we were so close, we duly made our way there. The point I'm getting to, is that while we were scoping the diver we noticed Turnstones on the beach. There were at least a dozen Turnstones in amongst the Gulls and Pigeons, and they were easily holding their own vying for scraps thrown by the visitors. I had never seen this behaviour before and wondered, if this had been witnessed by anyone else.
While I recognise that all creatures will usually take the easy option, this seemed to me to be totally out of place.
Regards George

In my experience Turnstones can get very close to humans. They will often walk around peoples' feet in harbours and on piers. I've also seen them on lawns of coastal properties. Provides good photo opportunities without the need for any magnification :t:

Attachments

• turnstone_25oct04_420.jpg
    turnstone_25oct04_420.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 44
As Brian has said, Turnstones can turn up in the most busiest of places. I was actually watching quite a few of them on Sunday at Southend, on the beach right by the amusement arcade as well as the burger bars that are at the side of the beaches. In fact there were also 6 Sanderling in amongst them.

They werye vying for anything they could get and didn't seem to have a fear of anything around them.

The Sanderlings were a bit more skittish but the Turnstones didn't move from what they were doing no matter what.

I have had Turnstones walk over my feet before now and at Walcott, on the east coast of Norfolk, they will walk along the sea wall, which is also at the side of where you park the car, and actually look you in the eye as you sit in your car, only inches away from you.

At Penzance you can find them walking around the car parks and on the harbourside road. Funny thing to see really.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back