• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peregrine painting (1 Viewer)

Keith Glasgow

I've just finished a painting (oil)of a juv. Peregrine tiercel. I'll try to attach the image, tho' I'm not that great with computers!

Attachments

• _MG_1669 (1).JPG
    _MG_1669 (1).JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 480
That is a fantastic painting you've done Zek. You know just enough about computers to get the pic on line, but you know an awful lot more about painting.

thanks for your replies - the painting is 20"H x 30"W though the gallery owner has since chopped the picture in half, and framed it. The framed image is now 20"H x 16"W and concentrates on the bird. I'm still not totally sure if he's done the right thing, but it's done now.
I'll have to learn a bit more about computers - the image turned out a little 'grey' and vague for my liking.
Btw, the peregrine is from Northen Ireland (where I live), - it was found last autumn with some shot in its wing, but has since made a remarkable recovery. When I photographed it, it was able to fly well, tho' not strongly.
The background mountains are the '12 Bens' in Connemara, Co Galway, Ireland, tho' lets face it - they could be anywhere!

thanks again,
Keith.

zek said:
thanks for your replies - the painting is 20"H x 30"W though the gallery owner has since chopped the picture in half, and framed it. The framed image is now 20"H x 16"W and concentrates on the bird. I'm still not totally sure if he's done the right thing, but it's done now.
I'll have to learn a bit more about computers - the image turned out a little 'grey' and vague for my liking.
Btw, the peregrine is from Northen Ireland (where I live), - it was found last autumn with some shot in its wing, but has since made a remarkable recovery. When I photographed it, it was able to fly well, tho' not strongly.
The background mountains are the '12 Bens' in Connemara, Co Galway, Ireland, tho' lets face it - they could be anywhere!

thanks again,
Keith.

Great painting Keith.I can see where you're coming from re: cropping.
I'd prefer the original wide view encompassing the surrounding habitat,but that's just me.I'm sure there's plenty who'd prefer the crop and will purchase for the bird itself.(Don't mean i prefer the background to the bird..ach you know what i mean).

Great painting, Keith. My compliments.

May I ask you who your influences are. I can see a bit of R. David Digby and Robert Bateman in this work. Well, as it used to be. I'm sure that the chopping-happiness of your gallery owner has given it a very different effect now. Perhaps cutting the cord with him would be a wise choise ?

zek said:

thanks again,
Keith.
I would personally throttle any gallery owner that cropped one of my paintings, but only AFTER I had made him pay me the full asking price for the painting and removed any remaining work from the reach of his destructive urges.

Nice work, find a gallery owner that appreciates it.

Woody

I agree with Woody. Before even reading the post I'd noticed the large dreamy open space and thought, "that's a falcon with lot on his mind." "He's got a job to do, but he'll be up to it, and at it, before the moment has passed." I liked it as-is.

Great painting!

-Craig

Hidde Bruinsma said:
Great painting, Keith. My compliments.

May I ask you who your influences are. I can see a bit of R. David Digby and Robert Bateman in this work. Well, as it used to be. I'm sure that the chopping-happiness of your gallery owner has given it a very different effect now. Perhaps cutting the cord with him would be a wise choise ?

I love the raptor paintings of George Edward Lodge (falconer/taxidermist/artist) who lived back in the first half of the 20th Century. He was an English artist and illustrated the 12 volumes of Bannermans 'Birds of the British Isles'.
I'm also fascinated by the artwork of Rien Poortvliet (sp?) a Dutch artist who died a few years ago. I have a book or two of Robert Batemans work, and yes, I think you're right about his influence. Raymond Harris-Ching is another bird artist that has impressed me - I love his work. Possibly the greatest influence has been another bird artist from Northern Ireland called Julian Friers. I used to stand in the same gallery that I mentioned, and wonder at his work - it amazed me! Now my work hangs alongside his, tho' his are still about 5 times the price of mine - I'll be a while at catching up ;)

Sometimes when I'm painting, I get a small niggling notion that something's not quite right - it's only a notion, and I push it to the back of my mind. I try to ignore it, I talk myself round it, I convince myself that the problem doesn't really exist, ........and then my wife walks in and right away points out the very thing that was troubling me! All along I should have listened to my niggling notion. Well it was much the same in the gallery. Painting pictures, framing pictures and selling pictures are all separate disciplines. I paint pictures and I trust my gallery owner to look after the framing and selling. And I'll have to be fair - he's a very successful business man with many years experience in the art world, and up untill now I think he's got it right. When he suggested cutting the painting, I had slight misgivings, but he should know what he's doing, so I let him. Big mistake I suppose! Well ever since, that niggling notion has been troubling me again. And now the Birdforum members have confirmed it - he should have kept it the way it was!!

thanks for your response,
Keith.

Hi Keith... live and learn, I guess... NEVER let anyone touch your work without your express permission!! You are the artist and fabulously talented! Your vision for this painting was what should have been framed... Never mind... you can create more and I look forward to seeing them...

Have you visited www.wetcanvas.com? It's an artists' website and there is an oil forum that I'm sure you'd enjoy... Not only can you post your work here on this fantastic site, but you can also get the help/advice/critiques you want/need from other artists!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back